Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

And I pay with a credit card.... really no risk.

Reply to
The dude

I really don't have any concern with pre-paying..

I put $3,000 earnest money on the house... I could have a tough time getting that back also.

So $1,000 on a credit card from a local business guy who does work for the county... seems like low risk to me.

Reply to
The dude

I don't own it yet... And I need a survey to buy anyway. Might as well pay for an actual one to be performed.

Reply to
The dude

Just get the fricken survey and save yourself a lot of headache later on. geesh.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Have the surveyor place the monuments (stakes.) If you place them they are meaningless should an issue arise unless you are a licensed land surveyor.

Reply to
Boden

Normal, maybe. Outrageous, absolutely!

Did you not get a plot of survey when you purchased the house? If so and you can't find it, it should be on file at the Title Insurance company. Your county may have the plot of survey on file.

All you have to do is find the existing stakes and get an inch on your side of the line.

Watch out for easements. Do not build/put anything in them.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

I plan on it, but I am trying to gauge what it should cost. $2,000 seemed rather steep...

Reply to
The dude

Nonsense. What makes a customer who won't pay 100% upfront less than legitimate? If he needs a survey for the closing and also wants actual stake markers put in, there is nothing wrong with paying for paying for it in two parts. Around here, NJ, surveyors wouldt typically charge you one amount for a survey for closing without actually marking the lot and a larger amount for one that includes the markers.

I'm not saying he has great risk by paying the entire amount on a credit card up front. Just that if he chooses to do it in two seperate payments as the work is actually completed, it doesn't make him a less than legitimate customer and surveyors I've dealt with would have no problem doing it that way.

Reply to
trader4

A permit? For a fence?

Lordy.

I'm in Houston. We don't need no stinkin' permits for fences, new roofs, replacing circuit breaker boxes, or most anything. 'Course right now, 4.2 million residents are without electrical power and the fourth largest city in the nation is under a 9-6 curfew. For the rest of the week.

I'm sure the two are not related...

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:XfadnY6ls7tPSlDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com: