Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

Page 4 of 4

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:10:10 -0500, The dude

I don't know. I would think it's highly dependent on the local market.
Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to pay for a service before you get it. Then you are depending on the provider to do what was contracted for. If he doesn't it's a big hassle for you. I always prefer to pay on delivery.
It should be part of the job if it's not already done.
wrote Re Re: Putting up fence - Do I

The dude wrote:

Suppose his schedule never "lightens up". He's got your grand - what's his incentive to come back?
Yeah, I know, his reputation, his good word, yada yada. If you trust him go for it, but it could be risky.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

And I pay with a credit card.... really no risk.
The dude wrote:

The actual staking is the finishing touch. It's usually very fast -- a few minutes per stake. All the prep work is done in advance. Usually we spend more time driving to a customer's property than we spend staking.
That, and the actual paperwork -- the plat of survey itself -- are the end products. You want BOTH. It's the plat that's of actual value; there's no proof of who pounded in the iron pipes (or whatever they use). If you distrust the surveyor, don't hire him. Explain your concern up front; you're concerned that the staking will never get done if you pay the full amount up front. Suggest 50/50.
The surveyor is also a businessperson, and should be aware of your concerns & will certainly anticipate same. If he acts put out with an offer of 50/50, he's not much of an entrepreneur. Shop elsewhere.
Odds are, though, that 50/50 will be welcomed. (And in my neck of the woods, a grand for a 3.5 acre boundary survey is a bargain).
Robert Barr wrote:

I really don't have any concern with pre-paying..
I put $3,000 earnest money on the house... I could have a tough time getting that back also.
So $1,000 on a credit card from a local business guy who does work for the county... seems like low risk to me.

Nonsense. What makes a customer who won't pay 100% upfront less than legitimate? If he needs a survey for the closing and also wants actual stake markers put in, there is nothing wrong with paying for paying for it in two parts. Around here, NJ, surveyors wouldt typically charge you one amount for a survey for closing without actually marking the lot and a larger amount for one that includes the markers.
I'm not saying he has great risk by paying the entire amount on a credit card up front. Just that if he chooses to do it in two seperate payments as the work is actually completed, it doesn't make him a less than legitimate customer and surveyors I've dealt with would have no problem doing it that way.
Caesar Romano wrote:

Tried to find survey pegs with metal detector and some digging around?
Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't own it yet... And I need a survey to buy anyway. Might as well pay for an actual one to be performed.

Normal, maybe. Outrageous, absolutely!
Did you not get a plot of survey when you purchased the house? If so and you can't find it, it should be on file at the Title Insurance company. Your county may have the plot of survey on file.
All you have to do is find the existing stakes and get an inch on your side of the line.
Watch out for easements. Do not build/put anything in them.
Dick