Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

It probably doesn't, but you never know. While making a flower bed, I cut my neighbor's TV cable line, which was in _my_ yard. It ran all the way across my lot to the junction box in the yard of the neighbor on the _other_ side.

Note: Many posters add data that applies to the problem in general, not specifically to you, to help other people reading the message later. Besides, they might point out something you need to know, but haven't thought of yet. :-)

Reply to
SteveBell

They freeze it and brings blocks of water into the house as needed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That can save you 10x that if you put the fence in the wrong place. I'd go for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Where do you live? What is the approximate size of your lot in feet? Is it square, rectangular, or odd shaped?

That's pretty expensive from my experience. It cost me $384 in Chicago a lot of years ago, standard 45' wide lot, and around $400 here about ten years ago. "here" is upstate NY, rural area.

If you have multiple quotes in that area though, I'd say it appears to be the going rate. What the rest of these fools are on about is anyone's guess. Boy, they really come creeping out of the woodwork on this group, don't they? Almost every one of them is an ignoramus too.

Reply to
TWayne

behoove me to get a survey. If i want maximum space within the fence without encroaching on the neighboring properties, I'd better know - without question - where my lot line was.

Reply to
Rudy

AHHHHHH..... I C

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

What was there 100 years ago?

Reply to
salty

I was told I would need a boundary survey in order to obtain a permit...

Rudy wrote:

Reply to
The dude

Probably a corn or bean field...

My farm was built in 1942, and all the land around was owned by a farmer.

Now it was divided out.... in the 1990's

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Reply to
The dude

I am thinking the same thing...

It is a rectangular 3.5 acre lot.

I guess most of the expense is the drawing and certification?

TWayne wrote:

Reply to
The dude

That, and the unseen effort. A good survey includes research of adjoining parcels and their legal descriptions, compared to what's actually measured on the ground. A competent surveyor will measure more or less a city block in each direction, perhaps more depending on the original layout.

Inevitably, there will be some discrepancy. A land surveyor experienced with work in your area will know how to handle this, because he or she will have an idea of how your neighborhood was laid out to begin with.

A cheap survey is like a discount parachute. If you do it at all, get an experienced pro with a license. Any other survey is worth less than a roll of Charmin.

You might get away without a survey; it's your gamble, and you might be OK. If you can locate AND TRUST your existing markers (known as monumentation) and compare them to your original lot survey (and NOT the so-called 'mortgage survey'), you might be OK.

IF you decide to get it surveyed, don't screw around. Hire a pro with a license and a reputation. This will cost, and it will be worth it.

Reply to
Robert Barr

The $1000 quote that I have is from a Pro in the area... But, he will provide a mortage survey for now, then later when his schedule lightens up he will come out and mark the property - after I move in.

Unless some other pro comes in better, that is probably the route I will take.

Robert Barr wrote:

Reply to
The dude

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:04:00 -0500, The dude wrote Re Re: Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?:

Are you going to pay the full $1000 now or part now and the rest after he comes out and marks the property?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Reply to
The dude

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:10:10 -0500, The dude wrote Re Re: Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?:

I don't know. I would think it's highly dependent on the local market.

Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to pay for a service before you get it. Then you are depending on the provider to do what was contracted for. If he doesn't it's a big hassle for you. I always prefer to pay on delivery.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

It should be part of the job if it's not already done.

Steve Barker DLT

Suppose his schedule never "lightens up". He's got your grand - what's his incentive to come back?

Yeah, I know, his reputation, his good word, yada yada. If you trust him go for it, but it could be risky.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The price is not based on the amount of land but on how much work and distance they have to do their measuring and surveying from the local "landmark" point, to your lot.

Reply to
EXT

The actual staking is the finishing touch. It's usually very fast -- a few minutes per stake. All the prep work is done in advance. Usually we spend more time driving to a customer's property than we spend staking.

That, and the actual paperwork -- the plat of survey itself -- are the end products. You want BOTH. It's the plat that's of actual value; there's no proof of who pounded in the iron pipes (or whatever they use). If you distrust the surveyor, don't hire him. Explain your concern up front; you're concerned that the staking will never get done if you pay the full amount up front. Suggest 50/50.

The surveyor is also a businessperson, and should be aware of your concerns & will certainly anticipate same. If he acts put out with an offer of 50/50, he's not much of an entrepreneur. Shop elsewhere.

Odds are, though, that 50/50 will be welcomed. (And in my neck of the woods, a grand for a 3.5 acre boundary survey is a bargain).

Reply to
Robert Barr

Hi, Tried to find survey pegs with metal detector and some digging around?

Reply to
Tony Hwang