Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

There are no points. This is an older property that is 3.5 acres.

A standard survey for closing is not a boundary.

So I can use the boundary for the closing also.

dpb wrote:

Reply to
The dude

Standard closing surveys are not boundary type.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reply to
The dude

The markers are what cost $2,000

Non-marked closing survey is $300

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The dude

So I can assume the 20 year fence line is correct?? what if the neighbors move?

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
The dude

That is the difference between a standard survey and a boundary survey....

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reply to
The dude

it doesn't matter, he didn't have a boundary survey.

Reply to
The dude

Why would my neighbors utility cross 2 acres of horse pasture?

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
The dude

yes they are...

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Reply to
The dude

I thought all was well until a few months after closing I submitted a copy of the map along with the plans for the deck I was building. The town clerk said I was really close to set back limits, but that I was OK. I found that really strange since I knew where my deck would end and I knew where my lot line was and I didn't think I was even close.

I went home and measured and I was right. I then took a close look at the map and realized that they had put my house almost 20' back on the map from where it really belonged. I called the company that did the tape survey and they sent out a crew with transits and measuring wheels and tapes and spent hours crawling through back yards and up and down the street and holy sh*t you'd think they were planning some multi-billion dollar super secret government installation!

When they were done, they sent me a new map, with my house drawn exactly where I though it should have been based on my quick measurements with a 25' tape. Sure was fun to watch!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The survey had beter be correct. If you have one done and it is not correct and you build something by the survey and it is not correct, then the person doing the survey has to make it right. Say you built your house by the survey and later found 10 feet of the house was on your neighbor's property, then the person doing the survey would need to buy the extra land or have your house moved.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In the unlikely event the main actually is on the other side and an easement was obtained to make the run shortest distance.

Nobody said it does, only that stranger things are possible and worth checking on when purchasing property to determine if there are any hidden "gotcha's" such as a utility easement that isn't obvious from just looking.

--

Reply to
dpb

The dude wrote: ...[top posting repaired]...

That's pretty unusual to have overhead water... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Find the lot markers. A metal detector may help. Make sure the fence is inside your property. Yeah, a survey can be $$$.

Reply to
Phisherman

that's called rain in my area.

Reply to
charlie

  1. Check the adverse possession laws of your state. The property line may have moved if 20 years have gone by.
  2. A case can be made that the new owners agreed to the location of the fence when they bought the property. It's not like it was hidden!
Reply to
HeyBub

Be the first time _I_ ever saw an overhead feed for water..........

Steve Barker DLT

The water main coming down my street is 27' back into my front hay field. I'm not thinking it would be good to bore into a 12" pvc line whilst fencing.

Steve Barker DLT

Reply to
The dude

its called a well... I have no water lines

Reply to
The dude

Well, I'd guess there was a line anyway, even if not an external source.

But, it was a general principle being espoused, not the specific detail, I just got a chuckle form the "all" overhead...

--

Reply to
dpb

You have LINELESS water??? How's that work?

Steve Barker DLT