Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

Page 1 of 4

I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.
Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?
The dude wrote:

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.
What's the worst that could happen?
That is, if you and the folks on the other side are on friendly terms.
HeyBub wrote:

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a sizable economic penalty at sale time.
Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at whatever the appropriate setback is.
Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.
Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or wouldn't be considering the question here.
Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the house?
I have not closed on the house.
Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.
dpb wrote:

The dude wrote:

Well, if one is done, that would seem to suffice...why would there be two?
You do need to somehow (whether it's finding existing or a new) find the actual points that define the boundary. Once you know them, you can surely manage to do a setback from there.
There are no points. This is an older property that is 3.5 acres.
A standard survey for closing is not a boundary.
So I can use the boundary for the closing also.
dpb wrote:

If you're already having a survey done prior to closing, why would you think you need a separate one for the fence?
How much time will have passed between the closing and the fence install?
Standard closing surveys are not boundary type.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Have surveyors put markers. Then its easy

The markers are what cost $2,000
Non-marked closing survey is $300
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

*Sounds like a good idea. You can pay the surveyor to drive stakes or you can follow him around and put in your own stakes. If you haven't already you should contact the town about the zoning for fences. There may be a setback requirement.

John Grabowski wrote:

are meaningless should an issue arise unless you are a licensed land surveyor.

In my town I can put the fence directly on the lot line, with the proper permit in hand.
If I knew - without question - where my lot was, I wouldn't need a survey.
Save for knowing - without question - where my lot line was, it would behoove me to get a survey. If i want maximum space within the fence without encroaching on the neighboring properties, I'd better know - without question - where my lot line was.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It also depends on your neighbor. I once lived in a house that backed up to a 200' wide power company transmission line property. I asked the power company if I could encroach on their property a little bit. Here's what the guy in the permit department told me:
"I can't give you permission to fence in our property. I can tell that we've never ordered anyone to take down such a fence as you describe. But, and this is a big 'but', if we have to come through there with heavy equipment to repair a downed 200,000 volt transmission line, we're not going to let a $500 fence stand in our way."
If it were me, I'd check with the neighbor and decide on a mutually agreeable line of demarcation. Put the $2,000 toward the cost of the fence.
So I can assume the 20 year fence line is correct?? what if the neighbors move?
HeyBub wrote:

The dude wrote:

1. Check the adverse possession laws of your state. The property line may have moved if 20 years have gone by.
2. A case can be made that the new owners agreed to the location of the fence when they bought the property. It's not like it was hidden!
My boundary survey is to check the fence line BEFORE I buy.
HeyBub wrote:

without encroaching on the neighboring properties, I'd better know - without question - where my lot line was.<<
There are metal stakes about 3/4" X 3/4" X 3 ft long pounded into the ground (a few inches below grade at most)at lot lines here and originally there is a white wooden stake at each metal stake as well. The local city/county/district has available maps that show where these stakes/lot lines are, complete with measurements. Its usually pretty easy to take a copy (online) of the sheet out there along with a tape and small shovel and find "A" stake..doesnt need to be yours..From there, measure away til you find your own. I've had a copy of the survey for each of the 3 homes I ve owned over the last 35 years. Its usually done when a house is SOLD or BUILT and of course, its something you keep.
I was told I would need a boundary survey in order to obtain a permit...
Rudy wrote:

The dude wrote:

A permit? For a fence?
Lordy.
I'm in Houston. We don't need no stinkin' permits for fences, new roofs, replacing circuit breaker boxes, or most anything. 'Course right now, 4.2 million residents are without electrical power and the fourth largest city in the nation is under a 9-6 curfew. For the rest of the week.
I'm sure the two are not related...