Putting a hook in a steele door

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a steele door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in the cold (Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Magnetic hook?

Either those or the metal hooks that hang over the door. Such as this:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATIDi023&PRODIDb635
or
http://tinyurl.com/2fj99r
nancy
wrote

Thankyou Nancy for the link that is EXACTLY what I need...Why didn't I think of a magnet... DUH ,smacks myself in the head....LOL

Heh, don't worry, I get all the catalogs so I see this stuff, not like I thought it up. I have a hanger that I put over the storm door.
nancy

SWMBO likes to hang seasonal stuff on our front door (steel) too. I discouraged her from drilling a hole for a hook and she settled on having a magnetic hook. Our door faces east and is protected by a storm door and she likes having the sliding window in the storm door closed. This creates an oven-type environment between the doors. One day this summer, she noticed that the magnetic hook had been sliding down the door. I assume the heat had melted or weakened the magnet enough to allow it to slide. This left a trail on the door (which I hope can be buffed out). The magnet also could not be removed as it was stuck to the door! I removed it using dental floss. I guess if your door does not face the sun, or is adequately ventilated you won't have this problem.
Ripley

The door makers recommend only using light colors on steel doors also. My son, in spite of advice to the contrary wanted a hunter green door. He burned his hand on it after the summer sun baked it for a couple of hours. Makes for a good physics lesson in greenhouse effect.

Wire coat hanger: bend, shape and hang the hook at the door top?
(Temporary)
Oh, fasten the wreath... -- Oren

Most steel entry doors have a thin layer of steel over a foam insulating core. A hook attached to the door, unless also somehow anchored from the inside, would not be a good idea. A large magnetic hook is your best bet for this.

I put two small screws ON TOP of the steel door, centralized, spaced about 10" apart. The screws go into wood and project 1/8" up, enough space to clear the top door jamb. The wreath has a 20# fishing line loop that hooks over the screw heads. A wreath can be hung on either side (or both sides) of the door. No marks on the door, almost invisible, and low cost.