ptoperty lines

Page 1 of 2
greetings, i am at odds with my neighbor over the exact placement of our shared property line. i have a copy of a survey that was done about 5 years ago that shows our lots and on my lot there is a telephone pole that i am using as a reference point. on the survey the scale is one inch = forty feet. given that, could one say a half inch equals 20 feet, a quarter inch equals 10 feet and an eighth of an inch equals 5 feet. using the pole as a reference, i measured about a heavy sixteenth from the pole to the lot line on the survey map. seems to me that my property extends at least 2 feet past the pole. before i spend about $700 for a surveyor is this a somewhat accurate way of measuring?. thanks, cj

While it seems accurate, is the pole in the same place? The one in front of my house was moved last year.
The plat often has a description to follow also. It gives a reference point and measurement from that point. If you do not have it, the original surveyor my be able to provide it at a nominal cost. There should be no reason for a new survey, just a clarification of the existing one. Once done, put in a permanent marker.
cj wrote:

Can't you find pegs buried at 4 corners? The iron rod survey people drove into ground. Metal detector comes in handy. You can rent a detector from ental outfit. With the map you can get pretty close to them and start digging.
CJ,
You say that you are working from a "copy" of a survey drawing. Why do you believe that this copy maintained the scale of the original drawing? As Mr. Hwang has said, find the property line markers. They should be well described on your copy. A taut string between the two appropriate markers may settle your dispute.
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

behind the counter said that is the official copy obtained from the surveyor who laid out our community. it is a large print, about 2 foot wide by three foot long. we moved in after the survey was done and i have reason to believe that another neighbor pulled up the original markers.. thanks, cj

Poles are put on the property line so often that people often assume they always mark the property. Not so. For example on my lot the pole is 4' on my side of the line. It is also fairly common for surveys taken many years apart to show some variation from the original survey, but it is usually measured in inches and not feet.
Bob

The engineering company that was laying out the community my wife built used to always tell here in these lines are within a foot of being right you are lucky. The satellite pictures at leepa.org (the property assessor) are off by as much as 3 feet from recent surveys. My next door neighbor has had 3 surveys in the last 10 years and none agree. There are 3 corner markers driven in the northwest corner of my lot that would barely be covered by a 30 gallon trash can
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Property in back of my house has changed hands several times and stakes keep moving. Nice because I gained a couple of feet in the last survey. I heard that in a lot of surveys, surveyors may not even come out (they do a paper survey) unless you want markers.

The drawings are only close. To find the exact property lines you go by the reference points and shoot a line (pull a string is simple) between the points. The reference points are known things on or near the property and then a distance and direction is given from those points on the deed or map.
If a survey was done 5 years ago there should be stakes of flags still there at the corners of the property.
on 10/13/2007 12:32 PM Ralph Mowery said the following:

Wooden stakes and flags have been known to disappear at night when a neighbor doesn't agree with them. It's best to have permanent markers (metal rods or pipes, set in concrete) installed when a survey is done. It may cost a little more for the extra work, but it is worth it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No! The surveyor was in to property lines. The pole may not be accurately placed in the drawing. Find some corners.
cj wrote:

No.
The only accurate measurement is to shoot a line between corner markers. The copy of the survey "map" is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Use a metal detector to find the property poles buried in the ground.

My neighbors and I have kinda agreed on where we take care of the grass, but I haven't the faintest idea where the property lines are. (except that I have deck that extends 6" into my neighbors yard; 16 years ago the lawyer said it doesn't matter, and it seems not to have.)
When you or he decide to sell it could be a big problem. I wouldnt close with someone infringing on a property I was buying nor would a want a property that was infringing on the neighbor's. It will only lead to trouble

My house has sold 4 times since the deck was built, and his twice. Just doesn't seem to be a problem.

Don't know where you live in NJ no one with half a brain will close when there is an obvious infringement of property line. The houses being sold so frequently may indicate there WAS a problem. I'd probably the Sawzall to the deck that was on my side if someone tried that to me

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:16:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

That is the real reason why they have setbacks limiting how close you can build to "property lines". The line can be wrong. We always take what a surveyer says as gospel but with the advent of better GPS location I bet we find out a lot of those benchmarks they use to orient entire neighborhoods are wrong.
Toller wrote:

It's not a problem until someone decides to make it so...then, depending on who and what the circumstances are, it might become one.
In a situation such as you described, if you have encroaching property and the neighbor hasn't done anything to correct it, eventually it may be claimed by someone on your side of the line that the additional property actually belongs to them. Then, depending on whether the adversely affected party really cares, they may have a problem defending same...it all depends. As long as everybody involved is reasonably levelheaded and nobody makes waves and all that, it can go on indefinitely. All it may take is one sob at some point in the future to create havoc...as someone else farther down noted, there a those who seemingly look for any possible umbrage whether or not it really has any bearing on their use of their property or not, simply, apparently often, just for the pleasure of it. Then again, there are those on the other side that seem to push their boundaries until somebody else pushes back.

1 inch equal's 40' ?????? How big is this property? Lou