Protection of Solid Oak Exterior Doors

Hi,
I have some large solid oak doors as the entrance door to my property. The doors are therefore open to the elements and they get a lot of sunlight.
Because of the amount of sunlight, the old protective coating began peeling and so I have now stripped the doors but don't know what the best product to put on them is...some suggest Varathane, some varnish, etc....
Can anyone please help with advice???
Many Thanks
Tom

A good brand of Spar varnish will do as it remains more flexible than regular interior coatings. I've had good results with Minwax Helmsman. It has UV inhibitors.
Disco wrote:

As noted a top quality spar varnish is the stuff. Go to a real boat store and get the best they have.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
The best product I have used is Pratt & Lambert marine varnish apx 80$ a gallon,It is still on many doors I redid 20 yrs ago, maybe 20 doors. But now you must remove the oxidised wood to really make it last, but your door I cant see its condition. Any marine varnish will be better than other products.
Disco wrote:

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.
www.fiveyearclear.com
Their system involves an epoxy sealer that soaks into the wood, followed by a 2 part clear polyurethane with heavy UV protection
cheers Bob
J. Clarke wrote:

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.
www.fiveyearclear.com
Their system involves an epoxy sealer that soaks into the wood, followed by a 2 part clear polyurethane with heavy UV protection
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of Awlbrite Plus, 2-part Epifanes, Interlux Perfection, or the like.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
You may want to check at your boating supply door for what is recommended for wood on boats.