Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

So... the builder had this nifty tool that shot a lazer beam at a surface and read the surface temp. The temp outside was around 25 and the outside walls were between 63 and 65 degrees with the thermostat at 68. I was talking to a buddy and he told me that 63-65 was unacceptable. Too me, it seems reasonable... but he started accusing me of defending the builder... that the outside walls should be near the temp of the the room/thermostat. IMHO... you would need 2 feet of insulation for that.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

h to determine the

see earlier

that the cycling off

evity vis a vis

mins later when I

nk that the furnace

I've noticed that

kicks the furnace

thermostat that

or perhaps there's

ing element or

n option to

e manual that

nt.- Hide quoted text -

e quoted text -

So... I should get a Silverline rep out... not the company that installed them.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

:
:

rch to determine the

-- see earlier

g that the cycling off

ngevity vis a vis

0 mins later when I

hink that the furnace

=A0I've noticed that

it kicks the furnace

he thermostat that

t or perhaps there's

ching element or

an option to

t has 1- 10 ,

ese manual that

ment.- Hide quoted text -

ide quoted text -

ing to

You need an independant inspector, call Silverline and an atty. you are being BSed Im in OakPark Ill . I bet your subdivision is substandard..

Reply to
ransley

te:

te:

earch to determine the

l -- see earlier

ong that the cycling off

longevity vis a vis

10 mins later when I

think that the furnace

=A0I've noticed that

e it kicks the furnace

the thermostat that

tat or perhaps there's

itching element or

ty adjustment,

is an option to

ty.- Hide quoted text -

it has 1- 10 ,

but it is not

inese manual that

rement.- Hide quoted text -

ienced a temp

going to

A Silverline rep is coming out today. I'm almost positive that its from the weep holes. The windows are Silverline 2900 single hung. I found the model number on the window. They are definately not their cheapest builder grade windows. "Our Premier New Construction Single Hung Window".

ATJaguarX

:

rote:

rote:

esearch to determine the

ful -- see earlier

wrong that the cycling off

d longevity vis a vis

up 10 mins later when I

ld think that the furnace

t. =A0I've noticed that

ore it kicks the furnace

on the thermostat that

ostat or perhaps there's

switching element or

vity adjustment,

e is an option to

vity.- Hide quoted text -

ux it has 1- 10 ,

s, but it is not

Chinese manual that

perement.- Hide quoted text -

owing from the

erienced a temp

on of Anderson

come out for

t going to

I saw the air infiltration test, you should not feel any air comming in.

Reply to
ransley

e:

e:

te:

research to determine the

ssful -- see earlier

_ wrong that the cycling off

ced longevity vis a vis

k up 10 mins later when I

ould think that the furnace

hat. =A0I've noticed that

efore it kicks the furnace

l on the thermostat that

rmostat or perhaps there's

e switching element or

tivity adjustment,

ere is an option to

tivity.- Hide quoted text -

Lux it has 1- 10 ,

ees, but it is not

sts have this

=A0Chinese manual that

experement.- Hide quoted text -

blowing from the

xperienced a temp

sion of Anderson

ll come out for

ent of Energy

mers identify

AR guidelines

opriate glass,

ere my windows

n't going to

o take

Silverline rep just left about an hour ago. He replaced the felt pile with stuff twice the thickness. He said that the state of Illinois allows a 12% infiltration rate on windows. I live in a middle of a subdivision with no houses built around me yet. He said, until the houses around me are built up, with the winds in the open fields around my house gusting, you're always going to feel a small amout of air. He claims no window can keep all the air out.

I think it comes down to the fact that I have cheap builder grade windows.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

[...]

How do you do an air infiltration test? He said that the only way these tests are done, are in the lab. He said there is no way to actually test the actual percentage of air getting through a window at a homeowners house.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

ote:

:

ote:

rote:

ir research to determine the

cessful -- see earlier

ly_ wrong that the cycling off

duced longevity vis a vis

ack up 10 mins later when I

would think that the furnace

that. =A0I've noticed that

before it kicks the furnace

nal on the thermostat that

hermostat or perhaps there's

the switching element or

sitivity adjustment,

there is an option to

sitivity.- Hide quoted text -

my Lux it has 1- 10 ,

grees, but it is not

tasts have this

=A0Chinese manual that

d experement.- Hide quoted text -

e blowing from the

experienced a temp

vision of Anderson

will come out for

on of Anderson

tment of Energy

sumers identify

STAR guidelines

propriate glass,

were my windows

on...- Hide quoted text -

ou could have

(about 30%

et Silverline

isn't going to

to take

quoted text -

Casements usualy have the best ratings in sealing out air leaks, when I called pella they said no you should not feel any air, they came out and fixed a few, your window rates as good as silverline casements , which I think is an excellant rating, the fact he did repairs tells you something. But I still say only with 30-35 mph gusts should you feel anything. If they leak in moderate wind they need to be fixed, you have a lifetime warranty but need help figuring it out, the test is done in a lab, You could get a blower door test done for maybe 300, it will give a readout of house air exchanges per hour and the tech goes around with a smoke stick pinpointing leaks and how good or bad your home is overall and if he thinks windows are affecting performance. Why didnt this rep schedule fixing all your leakers.

Reply to
ransley