Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

Page 4 of 4
ransley wrote:

Doh!
That's not the question -- the question is how two units of the _SAME_ efficiency have any significant savings based solely on sizing.
As the conclusion of the above report states, they couldn't show a measurable effect.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have heard 2 terms alot that I am not aware of:
1. The furnace's "second stage" 2. Standard thermostat "set-back"

It was near zero out, taking 2.5 hrs to raise temp 6 f is probably normal, Ive set back to 58 for a week and it might take 6-10 hrs to get warm. What type of furnace do you have, single stage 82% is cheapest, 92%+ dual stage VSDC is the most expensive. Dual stage has a low btu output for normal use and comfort and goes on high fire or full output when needed, my second stage goes on if I put the thermostat up 2 or 3 f. I dought you have a heating issue, most houses are wrongly oversized out of laziness by the installer to do a load calculation and make a bit more money selling a more expensive unit. I read another post you did at alt building, you should get the rated- guarnteed specs on your windows for Air Infiltration of your new windows. There I bet its installer error or defective windows, you should not feel air comming in new windows, and more insulation will help save you money.

Thanks for you thoughts Mark (and everyone else). I know my furnace is 80% effeciency, but I'm not sure if I have a dual stage (I doubt it). I'm going to snag a few pics of the area of my window where I believe air is entering and post them tonight. I'm almost positive its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.
ATJaguarX wrote: ...

What make/model? You can look its spec's up. Same for the windows--somebody already suggested looking up infiltration data for them.

The make of the furnace is York and the windows are by SilverLine. I'm not sure of the models. I'm not sure where I can find any other information on the model. I'm still waiting for the builder to get back to me on what series of windows are installed. I have the builder coming out tomorrow. Any specific questions I should ask? What model of windows and furnace I have? Would he know the infiltration data or is that something I can find out with the model/ series # of the windows?

The SilverLine windows are double hung windows. I pulled open the lower sash last night and noticed that there is only a small piece of "fuzzy" felt like material that seals the lower sash on the sides when closed. I believe, on windy days, the wind makes it way through this "fuzzy" felt and into the weight chambers and up and into the room. I wonder if I should install better weather stripping on the windows myself.

Here are a few pictures of the silverline windows i have installed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54446366@N00/sets/72157603627066227 /