Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

It was near zero out, taking 2.5 hrs to raise temp 6 f is probably normal, Ive set back to 58 for a week and it might take 6-10 hrs to get warm. What type of furnace do you have, single stage 82% is cheapest, 92%+ dual stage VSDC is the most expensive. Dual stage has a low btu output for normal use and comfort and goes on high fire or full output when needed, my second stage goes on if I put the thermostat up 2 or 3 f. I dought you have a heating issue, most houses are wrongly oversized out of laziness by the installer to do a load calculation and make a bit more money selling a more expensive unit. I read another post you did at alt building, you should get the rated- guarnteed specs on your windows for Air Infiltration of your new windows. There I bet its installer error or defective windows, you should not feel air comming in new windows, and more insulation will help save you money.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks for you thoughts Mark (and everyone else). I know my furnace is 80% effeciency, but I'm not sure if I have a dual stage (I doubt it). I'm going to snag a few pics of the area of my window where I believe air is entering and post them tonight. I'm almost positive its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

ATJaguarX wrote: ...

What make/model? You can look its spec's up. Same for the windows--somebody already suggested looking up infiltration data for them.

--

Reply to
dpb

The make of the furnace is York and the windows are by SilverLine. I'm not sure of the models. I'm not sure where I can find any other information on the model. I'm still waiting for the builder to get back to me on what series of windows are installed. I have the builder coming out tomorrow. Any specific questions I should ask? What model of windows and furnace I have? Would he know the infiltration data or is that something I can find out with the model/ series # of the windows?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

Fair enough, here are some references:

mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

(home heating supply co.)

and it's not just efficiency, but also early failure of the unit is a possibility. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

e:

The SilverLine windows are double hung windows. I pulled open the lower sash last night and noticed that there is only a small piece of "fuzzy" felt like material that seals the lower sash on the sides when closed. I believe, on windy days, the wind makes it way through this "fuzzy" felt and into the weight chambers and up and into the room. I wonder if I should install better weather stripping on the windows myself.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

I can understand the oversized furnace issue. What I don't understand is why my furnace will shut off and fire back up 10 mins later when I have my thermostat set to 69 degrees. I would think that the furnace should be able to stay off for longer then that. I've noticed that the thermostat never drops a single degree before it kicks the furnace back on again. Is there something internal on the thermostat that measures fractions of a degree?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

ote:

Here are a few pictures of the silverline windows i have installed:

ATJaguarX

Here is a hint for instalation quality. 1st if any window is out more than 1/8" in plumb, - level or square it is not even in warranty now or ever was , because of defective installation....

Second get manufacturers guarnteed ratings for CDF, Air infiltration, U Value, R value, and do some looking. Im in Chcgo area and it sounds like you got all of the cheapest stuff not rated "Energy Star" Unforatuly only an uninformed puts in an 80% efficient furnace in Chicago in 2007.

Reply to
ransley

ATJaguarX wrote: ...

Well, the first reference concludes that their research to determine the effect of sizing on efficiency wasn't so successful -- see earlier quote. I also doubt unless it were _grossly_ wrong that the cycling off a few times per hour could be measured in reduced longevity vis a vis the more continual operation.

Possibly could be an excessively sensitive thermostat or perhaps there's a breeze blowing by it that it's sensing on the switching element or something similar. It may also have a sensitivity adjustment, particularly if it is digital, not analog.

--

Reply to
dpb

An oversized furnace cycles more and at moderate temps may rarely get to be near rated efficency, [ why anyone is even allowed to use or sell an 80% unit in Chicago is dumb, but im stupid] Get window info online and warranty. Get furnace date online. Measure attic insulation depth youself. Measure windows for Plumb -level - square yourself and dont tell him, it could be an install issue. Check out warranty yourself by calling the window co. Did you know England does not allow non condensing units even though temps dont get much below freezing. Thank your EPA and George W Bush for this stupidity. So think for maybe 500 more, or a few hundred if only condensing units were sold you Would be saving 11-16% a month , depending on what model you chose, at 200-300 im guessing 15% is alot..

Reply to
ransley

dbp, any condensing furnace will save the near rated amount over a noncondensing unit. or a 95% unit will save 15% over a 80% given the same environment.

Reply to
ransley

Doh!

That's not the question -- the question is how two units of the _SAME_ efficiency have any significant savings based solely on sizing.

As the conclusion of the above report states, they couldn't show a measurable effect.

--

Reply to
dpb

Why would the builder not want to have these issues fixed? The company that installed the windows are responsible for their worksmanship. If the window is out of plumb, level or square, the installers should come back out and fix it and he shouldn't be out anything... at the least he is gaining a happy customer... or am I wrong?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

How do I check for plumb, level or square?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

I've gone through the installation manual and there is an option to set the cycles per hour, but nothing about sensitivity.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

There must be a setting for degree setback . On my Lux it has 1- 10 , I have it set I think at 3 or 4 and it is not degrees, but it is not at this location so I dont know . Modern thermostasts have this option, read your non understandable, illogical, Chinese manual that came with it..Or just set setback up 1 number and experement.

Reply to
ransley

Another cold night of drafty windows. Winds were blowing from the south and the rooms on the south side of the house experienced a temp of 66 while the thermostat was at 69.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

iced that

thats about normal, for most homes...

can be elminated with a variable speed furnace where the bolwer always runs moving air around house helping to keep temperatures uniform.

Reply to
hallerb

If you are lucky those were Energy Star rated windows and your complaint will be easily fixed because to get that rating they must be the best, but I dought any new modern windows today is designed that poorly so that you can actualy feel a leak, When my Pella leaked Pella came out for free and fixed it, it was only 2 months old. Did you find an air infiltration rating for them from the co that made them.

Reply to
ransley