Propane Stove: Pilot Light Won't Stay Light Testing Thermopile

The pilot light on my propane cast iron stove won't stay light.It is an Empire Comfort/American Hearth product. I found a Troubleshootingt mfg. guide on line and it advises to test thermopile MVolt and gas valve MV readings. MY question is: what kind of electrical tester do I need to measure up to 325 millivolts or more. Is there an inexpensive and easy to use model? Thanks. John
John F. wrote:

Usually they are so cheap, they are just replaced not tested.
Today most digital multi-meters will do the job.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks for input. John

They probably run about $30 so it probably isn't a bad idea to have one around for when one fails. But before I replaced it, I'd give the area a shot with some compressed air.
I replaced mine fhe first two seasons--- Then, 5 yrs or so ago, someone told me about the compressed air and I haven't replaced one since.
Jim
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Propane Stove: Pilot Light Won't Stay Light Testing Thermopile Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:34:39 -0400 Lines: 19

They probably run about $30 so it probably isn't a bad idea to have one around for when one fails. But before I replaced it, I'd give the area a shot with some compressed air.
I replaced mine fhe first two seasons--- Then, 5 yrs or so ago, someone told me about the compressed air and I haven't replaced one since.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Good point. Dust or misalignment can keep the thermocouple from becoming hot enough to work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Found a local stove guy opened on a Sunday who had acomparable thermopile to mine. Interestingly the old one tested to almost half a volt indicating it was good. Bought the new one anyway ($39.00) and installed it. She fired up right away. SoI guess the test isn't the final answer. Thanks again for input.