problems with silicone caulk

Page 1 of 2

Hello, I have been repairing a piece of wood directly under one of my windows with Elmers epoxy and today got to the point where it was time to caulk. I used silicone caulk and wondering if it's a bad choice. I applied this around 12:30-1pm and as of 830pm it is still very wet feeling like it doesn't want to dry. Is this normal??? Is GE a good brand? I asked because I also had trouble under another 2 windows but in those 2 examples the caulk broke up and looks burnt after aprox 1 year. They were both the same brand (GE Silc II) only difference was the color.
I need to finish this up as rain is coming Sunday night. Should I get something else if not dry by tomorrow morning???
Thanks, Fletch

The only problem I've had with GE caulk was when I used expired caulk.
Fletch | 2009-10-03 | 8:55:08 PM wrote:

Does it smell like vinegar? Silicone caulk gives off a vinegar smell as it cures. If it doesn't have a strong vinegar smell, it's probably old.

I've had good luck so far with that brand. I also use DAP.

The tube will tell you the curing time. If it's not cured by then, it's bad. Scrape the old stuff off, clean with whatever solvent the tube specifies, and put on something from a tube with a new date.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I had trouble specifically with GE Clear Silicone Caulk, which I believe was called something like Silicone II. It never cured, never gave off a vinegar smell, and was within its date code.
When I posted on this newsgroup, others warned me that GE had bad batches of this caulk, and I apparently had purchased such a bad tube. I removed the (never cured) GE, replaced it with another brand, and the problem was solved.
Smarty

Thank you..that is what I have (GE Sili II) and it sounds like the same issue. The black colored GE II (what I used in 2 other windows about a year ago) did cure as far as I know but later broke apart and now looks like it was burned. No more GE...Dap from now on...
Fletch
Fletch wrote:

I've never understood the fascination with silicone caulk. I usually use urethane caulk, and have never had a problem with it. Plus, it is fully paintable and very durable.

Here's a fairly good run down on the pros and cons:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/CaulkBG.html#1
Master Betty wrote:

It's a primitive rundown on the things that Lowe's sells. It doesn't mention polyurethane caulk. I used to be able to get polyurethane caulk at Lowe's and HD, but not for the last year or 3. Now I go to a construction supply place. I can count on this stuff to work and last. Why mess with silicone?
There is a discussion of polyurethane caulk ner the bottom of http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/caulk.htm

I use silicone caulk where I don't want to caulk for another 6 or 7 years. My pool, sky lights, and flashing. Otherwise I use latex. I buy them new then throw away what I don't use. I donno...never had a problem. Has never been a real big issue in my house.

Do a net search and you will see others having problems with the GE. Seems hit or miss but not nice if you get one of the bad tubes. cheers, Fletch

Do a net search and you will see others having problems with the GE. Seems hit or miss but not nice if you get one of the bad tubes. cheers, Fletch
+++++++++++
I did one for GE.....And then Dap. About the same
Personally, I think a lot of the problem is expired caulk. Could be storage problems too. I kind of doubt there are huge amounts of bad GE caulk but....
I'll try some polyurethane caulk. Not sure if I haven't already.

Thanks for the link. I went to Lowes this afternoon and looked around. I could have missed them, but I also could not find any PolyU based caulk. I have used the poly glues for making retaining walls and can say those work great. Anyway could not find so I came home with colored Alex Ultra 230 and yes broke down and gave the GE another chance. They have changed the look of the tubes so maybe I did get 2 old tubes. I will test the GE and if it drys will use it for the hard to get to windows (I live on a hill and will need ladders for 2 of the windows) and use the Alex for everything else. Then sit back and see which holds up the best.
Thanks, Fletch
Smarty wrote:

GE Silicone II does use acetic acid (source of the vinegar smell). That's one of the reasons it is superior to the old style silicone caulk (bad batches not withstanding).
Jon
whatever brand caulk you buy be CERTAIN its marked paintable........
some types dont allow good adhesion between caulking and paint.........
as a friend found out he caulked his entire wood sided home, caulked everything, after priming.
boy was he unhappy when not even primer would stick to the caulk:( the wood siding was in bad shape, so he primed then caulked everything.. then he went back and to prime the caulking areas and :(:(:(*
he ended up having his home vinyl sided which is what his wife wanted to begin with..............
he wasted the better part of a summer, scraping, sanding, priming, etc. this was a evening project after work and weekends.
the caulk was clearly marked not for painting...........

I've covered silicone caulk with thin layer of acrylic caulk and painted it. Worked well but it has only been in small areas.

Thanks...I feel for your friend as I *hate* having wood siding around just 2 windows and can only imagine the hassle if my whole house was siding rather than brick. I plan on doing vinyl or something as soon as I am in better shape money wise ..
Jon Danniken wrote:

That should read, "GE Silicone II does *NOT* use acetic acid....
Guess I need to make the coffee stronger in the A.M.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

None "use" acetic acid. It is a byproduct of the reaction that cures the rubber in peroxide cure formulas. Silicone II isn't peroxide cure so absence of a vinegar smell is normal.
George wrote:

Ah, thanks George, that's something I didn't know before.
Jon