silicone caulk

I know to use de-natured alcohol to clean a tub prior to re-caulking with silicone. But I read that you should use the de-natured alcohol to smooth the bead after applying the caulk. Is that better than using water on your finger? Patt

Reply to
Patt

For smoothing caulk I use white vinegar for silicone and water for latex based.

Reply to
RayV

I don't know but after many attempts to use silicone caulk, I found that masking tape on both sides of the bead is the only way to get a really nice job.

Patt wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Soap and water