problems with silicone caulk

GE's website is confusing on the issue of keeping water out. FWIW, if you click on the links you can find their FAQ's about problems with caulk - includes a phone number to call if you have outdated caulk:

norminn

Is that like Heavy duto Liquid nails? If so I have tested that for small wood repairs and it does seem to work well other than it gets really hard.

Reply to
Fletch

That should read, "GE Silicone II does *NOT* use acetic acid....

Guess I need to make the coffee stronger in the A.M.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It's a primitive rundown on the things that Lowe's sells. It doesn't mention polyurethane caulk. I used to be able to get polyurethane caulk at Lowe's and HD, but not for the last year or 3. Now I go to a construction supply place. I can count on this stuff to work and last. Why mess with silicone?

There is a discussion of polyurethane caulk ner the bottom of

Bob F

I use silicone caulk where I don't want to caulk for another 6 or 7 years. My pool, sky lights, and flashing. Otherwise I use latex. I buy them new then throw away what I don't use. I donno...never had a problem. Has never been a real big issue in my house.

Reply to
Master Betty

No, not as far as I know. Adhesives tend to get a lot harder than caulks.

Reply to
Bob F

ion

I could have missed them, but I also could not find any PolyU based caulk. I have used the poly glues for making retaining walls and can say those work great. Anyway could not find so I came home with colored Alex Ultra 230 and yes broke down and gave the GE another chance. They have changed the look of the tubes so maybe I did get 2 old tubes. I will test the GE and if it drys will use it for the hard to get to windows (I live on a hill and will need ladders for 2 of the windows) and use the Alex for everything else. Then sit back and see which holds up the best.

Thanks, Fletch

Reply to
Fletch

Do a net search and you will see others having problems with the GE. Seems hit or miss but not nice if you get one of the bad tubes. cheers, Fletch

Reply to
Fletch

Do a net search and you will see others having problems with the GE. Seems hit or miss but not nice if you get one of the bad tubes. cheers, Fletch

+++++++++++

I did one for GE.....And then Dap. About the same

Personally, I think a lot of the problem is expired caulk. Could be storage problems too. I kind of doubt there are huge amounts of bad GE caulk but....

I'll try some polyurethane caulk. Not sure if I haven't already.

Reply to
Master Betty

None "use" acetic acid. It is a byproduct of the reaction that cures the rubber in peroxide cure formulas. Silicone II isn't peroxide cure so absence of a vinegar smell is normal.

Reply to
George

Ah, thanks George, that's something I didn't know before.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Reply to