Priming/Sealing drywall before wallpapering

You should let Sherwin-Williams know immediately as rhose dolts say...
Q: Do acrylic latex primers and topcoats "breathe" to allow moisture vapor to pass through? Does this breathability diminish when a second topcoating and subsequent repainting is done?
A:Studies have shown 50 gallons of water is vaporized into the air of an average home each day from cooking, bathing, laundry and people. Much of this moisture passes through the walls. If the exterior coating traps moisture, blistering and peeling will occur.
Moisture vapor is more likely to pass through acrylic latex paint films than through solvent alkyd types.
It's true that application of additional coatings will reduce moisture vapor transmission, simply on the basis of increased film thickness. However, even with several coats applied, the latex film will be adequately permeable to water vapor and better than alkyd paint films of comparable thickness.
Note that water and water vapor are two different things. But both are "moisture".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Is that water vapor FROM 50 gallons of water evaporating, or is that 50 gallons of water vapor, whatever that means?

It's got nothing to do with vapor.

Irrelevant.
More irrelevant nonsense.

Now, say something relevant to the discussion.

I did but you don't have the wit to understand it.
--

dadiOH

No, you said nothing relevant. Try again. On second thought...
clipped

Latex/acryllic is slightly more permeable than alkyd; found that out when we had our stucco/c.b. condo painted. Web sites for paint co. will bear that out. FWIW, I don't recall seeing alkyd primer for new drywall...all I can recall has been latex.

It's made. After my "experience" with paper applied directly to drywall, I used a shellac based primer under latex. It "eggshelled" terribly. The BM paint guy said that shellac was much too hard, making the surface too brittle (for a moist location), causing the paint surface to crack. The fix was an oil based primer and then another coat of paint. PITA, but worked beautifully.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:58:51 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

OP, Lots of good info in this thread, also enough bullshit to fertilize a pasture. Go to a real paint store, not Lowes or HD, and tell them what you have and what you are doing. Let them set you up.