preventing sink scum

I used to live in a place with a porcelain sink, it almost never had to be cleaned.
but in the places I've lived since, with plastic sinks, the scum builds up really fast.
Why? my guesses:
Maybe it's a difference in the water? hard water causes more scum?
possibly, porcelain is smoother microscopically, and the soap/oil sheds off it?
possibly, difference in how fast the sinks drain?
anybody have experience with porcelain sinks, are they better this way?
Laura
On 31 Jul 2006 15:34:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adore.lightlink.com (Lacustral) wrote:

Porcelain is much easier to keep clean and harbors less bacteria--it stays smoother and dries faster. Gritty cleansers will scratch plastic composite and porcelain bathroom fixtures, and these scratches create places where dirt and bacteria live.