Preparing for Power Outages?

Page 5 of 13

wrote

Why do you guys even bother responding to him? People like him are what kill files were invented for. No fuss, no muss, and the rest of us don't have to wade through your responses. Once in a while he tries rotating from addresses, until his ISP cracks down on that, but it usually only takes 3 or 4 posts to recognize him.
aem sends...
wrote

This is the part where I start treating you like the whiney little gurl you're acting like. I'll just ignore you. Keep on whining and I'll send you to bed without supper. LOL
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
shit you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.
Don wrote:

Maybe not, but they seem to have no qualms about stealing it - for the greater good, of course
AL

He's lying again. His boss tells him what to do and he goes and flips the burgers.
"Rod Speed"> wrote

Have you been a whiney little gurl all your life? LOL
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
shit you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.

Somebody didn't get enough hugs when he was a little boy. LOL

I think he was toilet trained at gunpoint...
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
shit you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.
wrote just the puerile

That post is the same as the last one. You really are a sock puppet like everybody says you are. LOL
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
shit you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.
Rod Speed wrote:

Another admitted defeat from welfare boy.
wrote just the puerile

No supper for you. Now go to bed little gurl and cry yourself to sleep. LOL
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
shit you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.

In the past - before deregulation - the electric utility that I worked for pursued other goals - like reliability, public service, being a good neighbor to surrounding communities, the welfare of their employees, and so-forth.
Reasonable people can disagree on whether the populace as a whole was better off then or is better off now but I don't think anybody would assert that the utility acted differently now vs then.
--
PeteCresswell

snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

: :

Except for the ones that aren't businesses. For example, in Austin, TX, power is provided by Austin Energy, which is owned by the city. From http://www.austinenergy.com/About%20Us/Company%20Profile/index.htm :
    Austin Energy is the nations 10th largest community-owned     electric utility. We serve 360,000 customers and a population     of more than 800,000. We provide service within the City of     Austin, Travis County and a small portion of Williamson County.
    As a publicly owned power company and a city department,     Austin Energy returns profits to the community annually.     That money helps fund City services such as fire, police,     EMS, parks and libraries. The utility has provided $1.3     billion in profits to the community since 1976.
Also, from http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid "43 :
    What makes the Texas experiment with deregulation especially     interesting is that a "control group" has survived -- the     municipal utilities and rural electric cooperatives. Nobody     disputes that higher electric rates are partly due to the     near-tripling in cost of natural gas, the fuel for 46 percent     of Texas power generation. But the rates of still-regulated     city-owned utilities and electric cooperatives, which also     use natural gas power plants, are substantially cheaper almost     across the board.
    [ ... ]
    The cheapest service planone negotiated by the City of     Houstonin the entire deregulated market is about 35 percent     more expensive. What accounts for this difference? "[T]he     energy being sold in the deregulated service areas didnt     cost any more to produce than in the regulated areas,"     says Biedrzycki of Texas ROSE. "The difference is in the     way the pricing is established."
I don't think the government should run everything, but in this case it seems to be working pretty well. Our rates are lower, reliability is fine, customer service is OK[1], and they have programs to save energy (like thermostats that "phone home" and shave off the demand peaks in the summer) which seem fairly smart. They're not perfect, but I can hardly imagine a profit-motivated corporation would be better, and if the rates are a minimum of 35% higher in exchange for nothing, I'll take a city-owned utility myself.
Oh, and since the above mentioned not just city-owned utility companies but also cooperatives, here's the web site of a cooperative in an area near Austin:
    http://www.pec.coop/About/Facts.aspx
- Logan
[1] except when you move, they ALWAYS mail your final bill to the address you moved FROM, i.e. the address where you no longer live, and it's been that way for 15+ years...
snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

I'm up in Canada, and in my province the power company is state-run. It doesn't need to show a profit for shareholders...but it does show a small profit that is fed back into the government operating budget.
Chris

Which Province are you in?
In Ontario, the province has been subsidizing the electrical utility for some time, but thats been trailing off. In order to pay down the debts, there are additional monthly charges. As my house has electrical heating, its a big thing for me.
James
Jame
In article
snipped-for-privacy@idirect.com says...

The previous poster's email address has, "usask.ca" in it. My guess is that that means that "Sask" province in the middle of the country.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /