I prefer the hand cranked ones - and have had 2 for many years. Carry one
of the shake type in my purse - just in case.
Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
I have two deep cycle batteries with small inverters that will run the
TV and computer for several hours. I also have a 4 KW generator that
will take care of the heat, refrigerator, and freezer; as well as the
During the 2003 power cut, I found one of my major shortcomings
was air movement. The gas range did a nice job heating the
kitchen, but not any of the rest of the trailer. Since then I've
got a trolling battery, and an inverter. So that I can run some
low wattage lights, and also fans to move the heat around.
Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Kitchen appliances are not designed to heat houses. I hope you have a
CO detector and smoke detectors. That way, when your house burns down
you can get out safely, then stand real close to the fire to stay
On 2 Mar 2007 10:52:07 -0800, email@example.com wrote:
OTOH, kitchen appliances are not sentenient beings and don't know what
they're heating. They'll no more burn down the house heating air than
they will heating water, roast beef, turkey, etc.
OTOH2, some DO produce a lot of CO. The propane range in my MH can
click off 100 PPM CO in under an hour with all three burners going.
John De Armond
See my website for my current email address
Strawman argument. Nobody has said that appliances might be sentient.
The argument is about wether or not they are designed to be used to heat
a room and they most certainly not.
It won't burn the house down, but you possibly might not live through the
Clearly yours has affected you judging by the quality of your post.
My previous place had a gas range, and when I had a power outage in winter
that lasted long enough for the place to get cold, I'd use that for heat. I
never left it running more than 20 minutes an hour, though, and never while
I was asleep. That place was so leaky that I doubt CO buildup was a huge
I don't care if you used to burn your furniture in the middle of your kitchen
floor during outtages. It still doesn't make burning natural gas without a
chimney and without tight fuel mixture regulation a good idea. You're the kind
of person we read about in the morning papers who did something similarly
incredibly stupid using the fact that they it hadn't killed them yet as proof
that it was ok.
You really should take your life more seriously. Get a motel room if you're
without heat; visit friends or family with a fireplace. Invest in some good
So why aren't we reading about hundreds of people dying on Thanksgiving
from carbon monoxide poisoning because they roasted their turkeys in gas
ranges for many hours? Do you think all these gas ranges have chimneys?
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
There's an invention called the thermostat. A closed oven operating normally
will only be on a fraction of the time. A room that isn't perfectly sealed
will have enough ventalization.
But, feel free to stick your head in the oven and turn on the gas, given how
little you value your life. Hopefully if you don't give a shit, nobody
Wow, a gen-u-whine card-carrying USDA-Prime *sshole. Don't see many
of those anymore now that the garden variety has taken over.
I'm curious Mr. 'hole. If burning natural gas (and propane I assume)
without a chimney is such a bad idea they why are there so many gas
stoves, unvented heaters, catalytic heaters and gas mantle lights out
there, all operating without problems? Tell me that, o' sayer of
Oh wait. Captain Obvious has arrived with the answer. These devices
are DESIGNED to be used indoors without a chimney. They work fine.
Thank you, Capt'n...
A few years ago there would still be some uncertainty involved but
these days one can know for sure that an appliance is operating
properly. One need simply spend (not "invest") less than $50 on a
good digital readout CO detector such as a NightHawk.
Having done so 3 times (house, motor home, semi truck cab) I know that
my motorhome's propane stove makes enough CO to be dangerous even
though it is "properly regulated". I know that my catalytic heaters
and my ceramic surface burner heaters (Mr Heater Buddy and Detroit
Radiant Heat) emit zero CO within the limits of detection. (I
actually know that they emit 0.00 PPM CO, the limit of detection of my
fairly expensive industrial detector but that's another story) The
residential CO detector is something even a card carrier like you can
partake of. Of course, it's easier just to come here and wet yer
panties in public than it is to do it right.
Note to other mobile people: The rectangular NightHawk with the
digital readout near the top and the "N" cutout over the horn can be
easily operated on 12 volts DC. Simply remove the built-in Wall Wart
transformer, cut the cord and connect to 12 volts. The wart outputs
around 9 volts AC. This hits a bridge rectifier on the detector board
and then a voltage regulator. 12 volts DC (polarity doesn't matter)
I've had one connected like that in my motorhome for >5 years and
another in my semi truck for the several months I've had it. Much
more reliable and MUCH less power draw than an RV-type CO detector.
I have NOT looked at the newer round model but I need to since Sam's
Club has quit carrying the rectangular one and that's the only place I
knew that sold it for $39 instead of around $50.
John De Armond
See my website for my current email address
Thank you for saving me the trouble. Despite AZ Nomad's lecture, I wasn't
worried at the time, and would not be worried about it now. This is the same
gas range I COOKED on, and that never killed me. Nor did I leave it running
for hours, or running while out of the room or asleep. Heat a pot of water,
and turn it off till the water got cold again. Yes, I did sleep in a
sleeping bag and long johns on those occasions.
If you are so remote,then why wouldn't it be prudent to have a generator
for -some- power,if not whole-house capability?
And can't you get broadband from a satellite in Canada,at least for
BTW,a car battery and an inverter would power your laptop,or a TV &
DVDplayer,maybe a fluorescent light or two.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.