Power vent gas water heaters - problems/opinions

I am considering installing a power vent gas water heater as part of a changeover from electric. I know they tend to be noisy, but am wondering about people's experience with them for dependability and cost effectiveness. The alternative would be non-powered direct vent, but I would have to core through a cement wall to install it, and move a main water pipe to put it where the origional is. Also, are different brands better than others?
Bob F
Bob F wrote:

FWIW, I put in a Rheem 6 years ago and it's been troublefree. Exhaust noise can be a problem, depending on where it is. I put a clock timer on the heater so it won't run during sleeping hours. That also prevents the heater running for about 12 hours of the day which may save some tiny amount of ebergy.
Jim

Is it the exhaust noise (Perhaps coming in a window) that is annoying, or the noise of the fan inside the house?
Bob

Bob F wrote:

noise in the vicinity of the fan (basement). There is also some "rumble" coming from the length of exhaust pipe (PVC). I suspect the rumble is combustion-related.
Jim