Power tool question

I'm planning to buy a reciprocating saw. I was wondering the opinions of the group whether a trigger controlled or thumb wheel set variable speed was more convenient.

Thanks

Reply to
JC

I have a variable speed on my Porter Cable but use it on high 99.00% of the time. The thing I find the most convenient is the new no tools blade change. The older style saws required an Allen wrench to change out the blade. But to answer your question I think that a wheel would be better. This would be more precise then trying to hold your finger on the trigger with the same tension for the whole cut.

Reply to
Trader

Either model of speed adjustment will work quite well as long as the name on the side of the case says Milwaukee.

DanG

My dad used Milwaukee sawzalls for years and they are great. However, I decided to go with a Porter Cable Sawzlaa because of the no tools blade change option. I believe Wilwaukee offers this now tool. In any event I love my POrter cable and believe it be as good as my old WIlwaukee. Either one will work well for you.

Reply to
Trader

Just as a clarification, my older Sawzall Plus, bought about 5 years ago, has the quick change blade, as does my new Hatchet, and the Milwaukee jab saw... Porter Cable makes a fair saw, but we tried one, and it was worn after about

2 years....the old Milwaukee...still like new in the performance department.

Think of it this way...if Milwaukee is not the leader, why is everyone attempting to copy them?

Reply to
CBHvac

I think the big issue here is the difference between a DIY weekend warrior and an all day, every day user. My Milwakee Super is well over 5 years old. The non-super ones are moved to other trucks, but all still operate. The plumbers meanwhile tried both Bosch and Porter Cable. They have learned the hard way. Didn't get 2 years out of either one.

DanG