power invertor

Page 6 of 8
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 9:46:23 AM UTC-4, dilbert firestorm wrote:

These guys do cars (not trucks) with cordless drills. Seems like no trouble at all for the drill. Not sure how big your truck is...
http://lifehacker.com/5766205/lift-your-car-on-a-jack-faster-with-a-drill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSsGaHXTlA

If you really want to use a corded drill you would need to know how much power the drill will draw and then match the inverter to that.
You'll also need to know how you are going to attach the invert to the truck. Most accessory plugs these days can't able handle the loads they used to. It seems like most inverter manufacturers have taken this into account and no longer offer "accessory plugs" on anything other than their smallest models. Anything of decent size has to be connected directly to the battery or to wires from the battery that are of substantial gauge.
I'm not recommending HF inverters, but this page shows what I mean. Anything above 80 watts continuous either comes with clip leads or no leads at all, meaning that you have to come up with your own connection scheme.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/power-inverters.html
I just bought this one, but it is only used to power the Fast Charger for my smartphone, which requires AC. (USB only charges at the slow rate)
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/power-inverters/80-watt-continuous-200-watt-peak-slim-power-inverter-66944.html
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:04:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That stinks. They can't spend a tiny bit of money on a thicker wire?
And I was going to take up cigars.
My 2000 Toyota has pretty much nothing but thin wires, while the 95 Chrysler and everything before it had much heavier wires everywhere. Have American cars degenerated too? Or is it just Toyota and maybe Japanese?

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:40:21 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

To what end? How many people actually need more power than the modern accessory sockets provide?
Oh, BTW, do you think that they would just give away that "tiny bit of money"? No, they would raise the price of the vehicle. I don't need to pay more for my vehicles just because you plan on (stinking up your's by) taking up cigars.

On 4/13/2016 11:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Posted inline, as your comment also was.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 12:04:44 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you bragging that you've finally *come close* to posting correcting?
I say *come close* because I did not post my response the middle of a paragraph like you did. I posted in the appropriate section, on a line by itself.
You'll figure it out, eventually. Feel free to brag when you do.
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:59:22 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You are talking *at* someone that top-posted, literally, for years!
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 1:34:27 PM UTC-4, bob_villain wrote:

Oh, I know...
I guess he just has to toot his own horn as he slowly but surely makes the move towards what is normal for most of us.
It's kind of like the toddler that is proud of the poop he managed to get into the toilet. "Mommy! Mommy! Look what I did!"
<stuff snipped>

"That's nice honey, but that's the bathtub, not the pottie!"
He'll get there, eventually . . .
--
Bobby G.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:04:39 -0400, Stormin Moron

You didn't post ANYTHING of an value - inline or not And you didn't trim anything either.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:50:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I do.

If you're going to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 6:13:28 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

...and that's why they sell inverters and the cables required to hook them to the battery: for those that need extra power. (BTW I have a 1000 watt inverter and the cables required to hook it to the battery. However, I don't think that everyone should pay extra for a heavy duty accessory port just because some of us need more power.)

...and how does that apply to this situation?

On 4/13/2016 5:13 PM, Micky wrote:

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:40:12 -0400, Micky

newer insulation is thinner for the same effectiveness.
Everything today is built as lightly as possible - with the American manufacturers being every bit as "guilty" as the Japanese.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 14:09:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've stripped and spliced and soldered wires in most of my cars and the metal part of these new wires are definitely thinner.

That's what I was afraid of.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:15:27 -0400, Micky

cars - American or not, was grossly over-sized - to make sure there was enough conductor left after corrosion attacked the conductors.
With newer sealed connectors that is less of a problem.. The wires in today's vehicles are sized for the anticipated load.
<stuff snipped>

Got some alleged 12ga speaker wire from Ebay. It was the right diameter OUTSIDE for 12ga wire, but inside was perhaps 18ga wire. The thick jacket was just for show . . .
--
Bobby G.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:42:45 -0400, "Robert Green"

guaranteed to be in-accurate.
On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 12:06:46 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Even the "Made In China" part? ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Hmm. I don't see anywhere that Robert indicated that the wire he purchased from a seller on E-Bay came from China.
Nor did Robert indicate how he determined that the wire was really AWG18.
In fact, we get hundreds of shipments a month from China, all of which are labelled accurately, so your 'virtually guaranteed to be in-accurate' is false on its face.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:53:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

A very large percentage of "certifications" are bogus. Many specifications are inaccurate.
As far as " I don't see anywhere that Robert indicated that the wire he purchased from a seller on E-Bay came from China." the chances are better than 80% - virtually ALL low priced speaker wire you can buy in North America today is chinese in origin - as well as a lot of overpriced "boutique" wire. (and most electronic parts and devices, for that matter)