Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

Try here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110624/ap_on_hi_te/us_sci_power_clocks
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 7:11 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You have to copy and paste the whole link to your web browser because the bottom line wasn't automatically highlighted as a link. It happens all the time with some news readers. That's why I use the address shortening site "http://tinyurl.com /" whenever I want to post a very long address. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It won't happen if you surround the link with angle brackets (<(link)>). http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5giHrMC9wYlOzOkUg9wNC2jVKugkw?docId71623ab59694aef9f0a02fe83faca8a
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 10:03 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5giHrMC9wYlOzOkUg9wNC2jVKugkw?docId71623ab59694aef9f0a02fe83faca8a
Your link came out fine but I think I've seen that fail too depending on the software being used or the number of copies of the original message breaking the link. That's why I always choose to shorten the URL so it doesn't break after it's forwarded several times. Perhaps I'm too neurotic about it.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 12:23 AM, Erik wrote:

Consider the government dufas who is in charge:
"Tweaking the power grid’s frequency is expensive and takes a lot of effort, said Joe McClelland, head of electric reliability for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
"Is anyone using the grid to keep track of time?" McClelland asked. "Let’s see if anyone complains if we eliminate it." "
I guess he doesn't know about how clocks with synchronous motors operate.
I guess he is trying to top Obamas technically incompetent FCC chairman who gave permission (after his boss got a big donation) to proceed with a system that interferes with GPS?
http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/03/01/will-fccs-political-favor-harbinger-hedge-fund-result-gps-interference
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3fk5nu6
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/03/28/354863/dod-dot-slam-fcc-over-gps-interference-concerns.html
http://preview.tinyurl.com/678b4sy
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 9:35 AM, George wrote:

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/03/01/will-fccs-political-favor-harbinger-hedge-fund-result-gps-interference

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/03/28/354863/dod-dot-slam-fcc-over-gps-interference-concerns.html

another lawyer who is clueless about technology:
http://www.ferc.gov/about/offices/oer/oer-mcclelland.asp
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 9:40 AM, Smarty wrote:

for Obama considering the statement he made.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Smarty wrote:

So, you're saying that an electrical engineer isn't influenced by the same politics that affects non electrical engineers? Don't forget that about half the electrical engineers perform below average ;-)

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/25/2011 8:35 AM, George wrote:

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/03/01/will-fccs-political-favor-harbinger-hedge-fund-result-gps-interference
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/03/28/354863/dod-dot-slam-fcc-over-gps-interference-concerns.html
Uhem! "Dufas" is a proper family name, I hope you mean "doofus" which describes a complete dolt. As far as I know none of the Dufas family is in charge of the national power grid. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

A long time ago I was working at company that was running a lot of equipment that was using the frequency of 60 Hz power line to control some critical processes.
I got the task of getting the specs of the frequency tolerance. It took a few phone calls to get to the engineering offices of Boston Edison. The engineer I reached told me the allowable frequency deviation and reminded me of something I had learned years before. If alternators running in parallel are not in phase,one tries to act as if it were a motor and the system could lock up, We had done this experiment in an AC power lab coupling a pair of alternators that were being driven by DC motors so that their speeds could be adjusted and they could be brought into phase with each other. Students who tried to put them in parallel when they were not close enough got to produce a pretty loud squeal from the complaining equipment.
As the electric company engineer and I talked he pointed out that the Great Northeast Blackout in 1964 was not simply that some parts of the grid had been overloaded but that a surge/spike/anomaly had created a phase mismatch which snowballed along as some units fell out of the allowable frequency and knocked alternators of the grid. The short term fix was to get off the grid and come back on when the frequency mismatches had been resolved.
At any rate, I can hardly wait to see what happens,
Charlie BSEE 1956
Add pictures here
βœ–

When you have a phase mismatch,you get partial wave cancellations and additions (and standing waves)between the different out-of-phase sources,resulting in power losses,and for the gigawatts electrical grid,that is meaningful.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik