Power Charger replacement

My Dewalt power drill charger has failed. Do I have to use a Dewalt charger replacement OR can I a cheapo from Harbor Freight?
Any experiences?
Thanks!
14.4 amps.
mcfriendly wrote:

mcfriendly wrote:

You could use almost any charger designed for charging 14.4 VOLT batteries providing you could properly rig the connections between the charger and the battery.
Perhaps you could strip the battery pack receptical from the defunct charger and use it as a connector?
But, since it appears you have limited electrical knowledge and don't seem to know the difference between volts and amps, I'd suggest you play it safe and get a whole new charger.
Try eBay. Searching for "Dewalt charger" will get you a zillion hits.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Get a Dewalt.

All the different brands of rechargeable batteries have proprietary chargers/batteries..others wont fit.
My Dewalt 12V batteries finally died after 5 years. Batteries alone cost $ 50.00 each at Lowes/ Home D.
A whole new DeWalt kit (drill/charger/2 batts/case) costs the same as buying the 2 batteries ( $99.00)
I stalled and stalled using my old Craftsman and finally the $99.00 kit went on sale for 89 with a $ 30.00 rebate so I now have 2 Drills/ 2 chargers and 2 batteries.
Now the 18 Volt Batteries are $ 60.00 each...yada yada yada

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Get a Dewalt.

Can you find a HF charger that is *intended* for DeWalt battery packs? I doubt it.

and if they both used the same charge-sensing method. (could be thermistor,temperature-sensing switch,or deltaV/deltaTime)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Check to see if it's one of the recalled Dewalt chargers first