Possible purchase?

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Water-Heaters-Residential/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkxZbao9Z1z13yke/R-100200598/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Old one dying at last. Look decent? No interest in tankless, thanks.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Water-Heaters-Residential/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkxZbao9Z1z13yke/R-100200598/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
That particular model was not available in my zip so I can not compare price for you.
I went with a whirlpool from Lowes with similar specs about a year ago in my residence. Over $600 as I recall without looking it up.
It works as well as the old one did. I am reserving judgment on the closed piezo system for a later reply.
I have a closed piezo system in a rental unit for about 5 years now with no problems yet (knock).
--
Colbyt
"Colbyt" wrote

I looked at Lowes and saw similar too, but like all areas, the Box Box installers can be variable. The local HD has better guys per reputation here for this. The Local Lowes guys apparently have had lots of complaints on quality of install for gas water tank heaters.

looks good. I have a 75,000 BTU tank but it cost a fortune
cshenk wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Water-Heaters-Residential/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkxZbao9Z1z13yke/R-100200598/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
That's more than I paid locally for a direct vent unit.
"Bob F" wrote

They have smaller cheaper gas units too but the warnetee is much less. Often only 6 years.
cshenk wrote:

The direct vent heaters tend to be substantially more expensive than the standard unit.
My understanding of the higher warrantee is that they just put more or bigger anodes in tha longer warrantee units. You can replace the anode after 6 years for a similar advantage.

Its only 58% efficient, not energy star rated-qualified. www.energystar.gov has efficency ratings for all tanks made. 58%, so 42% of every dollar you spend heating water is wasted, up the chimney. You can do better. Tankless start at 82EF. You need to compare and buy by EF ratings is you want to save on utilities. You can only go to about 84EF on a tank but that is better than 58 EF, Tankless BTW go to 94 EF, but you of course, I know, dont want a tankless. Learn what the EF rating is and use that as a guidline.

a good bit of the wasted energy helps to heat your home.
if you have the bucks buy a VERTEX they qualify for the energy tax credit, are 90% efficent, and they are storage units so they dont suffer the downsides of tankless. endless hot water their recovery is awesome. direct vent, they cost 1500 bucks installed locally.

No Vertex is 90% overall efficient, the EF rating is near 84 unless you can post otherwise. Dont you find it strange the EF rating is not on AOs Vertex page. EF is overall efficency and how you compare tanks. I think I know this since I have a AO Cyclone, a condensing tank of about 83EF.
Exactly, or in this case, the garage in winter which I have to somewhat heat or I freeze pipes.
"ransley" wrote "cshenk" wrote:

Thank you Ransley but not interested in tankless. Cost is so much it's cheaper to pay the higher bill in this case. The engerystar just changed. 2 months ago, this was listed as such.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:31:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Water-Heaters-Residential/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkxZbao9Z1z13yke/R-100200598/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
I've said it before on here, but check the design of the drain valve on it. Mine's a shitty plastic thing with a really crappy, narrow waterway path (water has to go a couple of bends to 'escape') - which of course means it's easy for scale to block everything up. Sadly most of 'em seem to be that way from what I've seen.
I'd go for a new one with a sensible (preferably metal-bodied) valve design, or at least one where it looked like the valve could be removed if needed (to *really* let any deposits out)
"Jules" wrote

Ok thanks! Good to know. The old one is well past it's lifecycle. A simple 15 year unit we got 'lucky' with. It was installed in 1985. It still works, but is rapidly showing only partial function. Due to it's age (nearing 25 years), better to replace than repair.

I couldn't see price either, but it doesn't matter. Swore-off anything/everything GE quite some time ago.
Unless things have changed a bunch, I'd price a comparable AO Smith. Strongly suspect it would be much kinder to you years down the road.