Portable air conditioner performance

Well in a window unit the motor and heat exhaust are already outside, so they cant add to the heat load of the room/
These drag around have all that noise and heat producing stuff indoors, just that alone would cut efficency.......

I understand all that. But the EER is supposed to be the cooling output divided by the energy used. And one would think that there would be a uniform method to calculate it as it's the core of the energy efficiency ratings.
http://174.129.132.250/home/2008/06/air-condition-1.html

I wonder if the testing is done under lab conditions with the hose for the vent not used. On a tabletop, they may both be the same, but adding all that extra venting would sure lessen efficiency.