Portable air conditioner performance

The ones I have seen are very expensive and not very efficient. They are not eligible for the governments energy star program
And the ones I have seen use only a single exhaust vent in the window, so.... that means you are using your cooled inside air to be blown thru the condenser and then vented outside to be lost. Not very efficient.
Reply to
SRN
From what I can see from looking at a few specs, it looks like there isn't a lot of difference in terms of performance. With both types I found units in the range of 10 to 12 EER. I agree you would think using the inside air to move through the condenser would make the portables less efficient, but it may not make that big of a difference.
I think the choice of which to use usually comes down to what will work in the particular application. I'd go with a window unit unless there was a reason it could not be used.
Reply to
trader4
My elderly neighbor has two. Efficient? They're not.
But if you need cool when the power goes out, they may be your only option. Get the kind with two hoses (intake and exhaust).
Reply to
HeyBub
In news:cYGdndlvcdUF7UXQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@wow.com,
Very well in our experience; we have two of the PAC types. Quick & easy to install too. Same btu ratings as the old window units is giving us the same comfort as always, better in some ways due to the more powerful fan settings and built in dehumidifier.
HTH,
Twayne`
Reply to
Twayne
In news:ira52j$mpm$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me,
Yes, they are; both of ours have the energy star sticker.
What? Nooo, lol! That's a hot air output and is baffled from the refrgerated air inside the unit. If you've seen one like that, you must be seeing some real junk!
HTH,
Twayne`
Reply to
Twayne
those portables dont cool as well, all the noise is indoors, window units put the compressor outside for quieter operation and easy disposal of condensate
Reply to
bob haller
Well, the Scope section B of that link says they're not...apparently any unit you have doesn't meet the fit the definition of either a PTAC or PAC if it does have the tag.
Any way, doesn't seem the link bolsters the case.. :)
--
Reply to
dpb
On May 23, 7:01=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote:
.
Well in a window unit the motor and heat exhaust are already outside, so they cant add to the heat load of the room/
These drag around have all that noise and heat producing stuff indoors, just that alone would cut efficency.......
Reply to
bob haller
I understand all that. But the EER is supposed to be the cooling output divided by the energy used. And one would think that there would be a uniform method to calculate it as it's the core of the energy efficiency ratings.
Reply to
trader4
You store the portable AC in the freezer until the poser goes out, then you take it out and it cools the room old school.
Reply to
RicodJour
On Mon, 23 May 2011 13:37:28 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:
Until the poser goes out? Yeah, that'll do it. ;-)
Reply to
krw
Not all do, no. The dehum runs the temperature of the coils at a lower temperature (less air, AFAIK) so they are below the dew point. You're not pulling any water out of the air if they're above the dew point. It's less efficient that way but takes less energy. ;-)
Reply to
krw
wrote http://174.129.132.250/home/2008/06/air-condition-1.html>
I wonder if the testing is done under lab conditions with the hose for the vent not used. On a tabletop, they may both be the same, but adding all that extra venting would sure lessen efficiency.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
Portable generator, with which you can keep ONE room cool but not the whole house.
My generator puts out 2x20 amps, but my main AC pulls 2x25. The window unit pulls about 1x12.
Reply to
HeyBub
When I got central AC i kept one window unit, put it in ccloset for emergencies. It will run off my generator and is big enough to cool my bedroom. I plug it in once a year for a 1/2 hour so its good to go if needed
Reply to
bob haller

Site Timeline Threads