Porch Column Replacement

Ok, I am looking to replace a total of four load bearing columns on my front and back porches before they don't bear the load anymore (they are severely rotted). The current posts are about 8 feet tall and seem to be a simple wooden boxed design resting on aluminum shims/spacers. I know that they are hollow inside because the rotted area on the bottom allows me a great look inside.

What I am looking for is some suggestions on how to proceed from start to finish (I have never tackled anything like this before). Heck, is it even a good idea to try to do it myself? Any ideas, suggestions for do-it-yourself guides would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
JoeyJoJo

make new ones of the correct size and length. use some sort of support near one column that has a screw jack at the bottom. support the crossbeam. knock out the old one. insert the new one.

make sure that your support can support the load before removing the old one.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I don't know your skill level so I'm not going to say if you should tackle it. What you propose to do is done frequently by putting in temporary supports made of 2 x 4's to old the roof while you remove and replace the old ones.

Just a few thing to watch for are: Lateral support on the header where the temporary support will be. Soundness of the ground where the temporary supports will go Number of supports needed Location of the supports so they are not accidentally knocked out

You probably should enlist the help of someone that really knows to assist you. An error can be quite costly Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski