Pool Safety Cover Question

I just purchased a safety cover for my 36 X 18 pool. When it came the springs were covered with a plastic sleeve that of course I thought was for shipping only. So I removed them all, it took so long to remove then that I doubt I can get them back on. Anyways, how important are these plastic sleeves and are they only there to prolong the life of the springs. Thanks in advance.