plumbing question -- replacing taps

I've got a kohler bathroom sink, and the taps developed a few issues over the years.
I removed the handles and unscrewed the taps underneath, and sure enough, the little bits that open and close to allow the water flow were broken.
So I bought 2 new ones, think I might as well replace them both. I applied a bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.
I tried tightening and looseing them completely to see if it was an alignment issue, but still, no water.
Am I missing something here? Some important step in the process?
thanks in advance....
snipped-for-privacy@here.org wrote:

bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.

Broken bits of rubber migrated into the spout to clog it??
Jim
Definitely worth checking out. I guess I'll have to take the whole thing apart to find out. I seem to recall there being some stuff stuck to it.
I wish I could find a diagram of how everything is supposed to work, how the flow is supposed to go, but even if there was a manual that came with it, you can't expect to have it when you buy a house it's been in for years.
Laid off, learning some plumbing....
fnord
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:31:55 -0400

bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.

snipped-for-privacy@here.org, decides to chip in.

You might see if Kohler has a fact sheet on their website for this model.
Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.