Plumbing question

The tube that runs from the water valve to the faucet is leaking at the valve. It looks like the washer on the end is messed up. I can't find a new washer and tape doesn't work. Is there any thing that I can put over the threads or something else to do? The vanity and the bathroom are very small and I am big, so I am trying to avoid getting up under there to replace the entire line if there is a viable alternative. Any?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Are you referring to one of these:
http://www-img.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/86348.jpg
If so, sounds like you really do need a new washer as sealing the threads will not do much good. No hardware store nearby - or neighbours?
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

That is it. I thought I'd need to do that, but I wasn't able to find a replacement washer (at least at the local Ace) and I am trying to not replace the whole thing if I can get around for the reasons above.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Caveat - I'm a brit - but one man's 1/2" tap connector is likely to be similar to another's (maybe!).
So no local proper hardware store? Then I would try the neighbours - someone will have a spare washer - they are pretty common. Or order online and wait for a few days if you can.
Anything else is going to be a bodge that will fail quickly and will probably make a proper repair harder.
As someone else noted, it's also possible the hose joint to the metal end might be failing. Is the water coming out from the nut (either thread end or the bit where the central metal bit goes through). Or is it seeping down from the braid?
All things said, those hose assemblies (Brits call then "flexible tap connectors" - no idea if the USA term is the same) are not expensive and are incredibly easy to replace.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

The new hoses are pretty damn cheap. Buy a new hose and pirate the washer from it. Then you won't have to replace the hose. Don't use any tape on the threads; the washer alone does the sealing, and tape will only interfere.

On quite a few I've seen and worked on it would be impossible to change the washer without damaging it. They are NOT made to be repairable, or serviceable - that's why you can't buy just the "washer"
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A photo might help. With a photo, people here could see what type of fitting/connection there is at the point of the leak. You can use something like http://tinypic.com/to post the photo.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Another option that you could try is:
Turn off the valve; disconnect the connection; put some 100% silicone caulk in there where the rubber washer is; reconnect the connection, but just part way; let it dry/cure for 24 hours; then tighten the connection and turn the water back on and see if it still leaks.

I did that and it didn't. In fact I think I got a little carried away and got it too tight since the leak was bigger.
The new flex tube is cheaper than the water damage clean up.

That is it. I thought I'd need to do that, but I wasn't able to find a replacement washer (at least at the local Ace) and I am trying to not replace the whole thing if I can get around for the reasons above.
On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 13:10:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

even adding in the price of a new basin wrench (less than $30 for a good one)
five bucks..... everyone needs one. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-basin-wrench-91958.html
even adding in the price of a new basin wrench (less than $30 for a good one)
On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:56:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Note - I DID say a "good one"
"If you want first quality oats, you have to be willing to pay first quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have already gone through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper"
DO you have A LINK to a GOOD one? THE link I POSTED was a CHEAPIE.

Note - I DID say a "good one"
"If you want first quality oats, you have to be willing to pay first quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have already gone through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper"
On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:19:51 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Don't have a link, but I bought one at the local hardware for $15 that was pretty much useless for $14.99 - I returned it and bought one from Canadian Tire for $19.95 that was much better - I could have gone over to the local plumbing /HVAC distributor and bought a real good one for about $39.99 - but since I don't use one that often it would have been a waste of $20.04.
The $14.99 one was a waste of $14.99 and I'm pretty sure I would have found a $5 one a total waste of $5.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you tried tightening the nut?
--

dadiOH

Your line may be failing at the connector, its probably a good idea to replace BOTH LINES, otherwise a blown line could flood your home........
even if you have to get a plumber or friend to do the replacement!

It's not clear what kind of connector he actually has. He said "tube" which could mean it's one of the solid tubing types which uses compression fittings. On those, taping the threads isn't going to do anything. He also said washer, and I think in general any of these lines relies on some kind of compression ferrule or washer to seal. Taping isn't going to work.
The flex lines aren't killer expensive, and they do go bad. Make some calls, someone out there should have a basin wrench, and the skills to use it.
Your line may be failing at the connector, its probably a good idea to replace BOTH LINES, otherwise a blown line could flood your home........
even if you have to get a plumber or friend to do the replacement!

Replace the whole line. Hire a little guy if you don't fit.