Plumbing Question

The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

Doug Miller

The flapper valve may be trying to deal with a corroded out of round seat, valve seat, that is. The fix would be to replace with a more complete assembly which could include most of the hardware in the tank. Drain it, inspect carefully, then look for an assembly compatible with your unit. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I hope someone has better advice for you than I do! A couple times I had to replace the flappy twice before it worked.

Reply to
Toller

Make sure you don't have an hairline crack somewhere. You could test out the tank with dye and see where the leak goes. Usually its the flapper. On one unit, I had to replace the flapper 4 times before I found a good one. Next could be the flapper seat. The seats today are plastic, years ago you could get a stainless steel seat.

And then you could get a Toto and forget the whole thing. I only buy Totos now.

Reply to
** Frank **

Before you put the flapper in put in warm water for 10 mins then lightly hold it down to the seat of the unit this usaually helps it to seat. Don't know about Toto as no one here seems to be able to buy them, haven't ever had to buy more than 1 flapper but then Ive only installed 2or3 hundred in 37 yrs

Reply to
jim

I guess I'm a newbie, had only installed a little more than a dozen. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
** Frank **

Don't know about Toto as no one here seems to be able to buy

Here is one online

The low end Toto is not that expensive - about $250 and well worth it. I'm in the Bay Area and found a few local places that stock Toto.

Reply to
** Frank **

New flapper is probably worthless. I went through several in one day, 'till i found one that would seal.

Steve Barker LT

Inside the tank is a hollow tube. If the water is reaching the top of this tube each time the tank fills up, the water level is set too high.

Adjust so water stops flowing to just below the top of this tube.

City water pressure can change. You may get a blip of high pressure and this makes it run a little. But it all flows out the top of the tube. By adjusting so the water stops short of the top of the tube, when you get a blip in water pressure, the tank will fill a little higher and then stop.

Also clean the flapper and the round part it sits on with a paper towel. Sometime a little piece of dirt can keep it up a bit.

Flush a few times and watch it in action. See what it is doing. Chains too long can get in the way (reduce length of chain), and flapper/hinges may not be right kind for your tank. Maybe a differently designed flapper will work better for your tank. There are different kinds of flappers at the hardware store. Some work better than others.

Reply to
Bill

Make that warm vinegar. If there's any mineral deposits, they'll come off.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Frank wasn't meant to be smart just pointing out that like anything if done right it should work, Also bang on about the dye alot of people keep the chain to tight also Cheers

Reply to
jim