plumber's putty

Ready to install the sink hardware for a garbage disposal. I looked at the instructions and says"DO NOT USE ON MARBLE, GRANITE, PLASTIC OR ANY OTHER DIMENSIONAL STONE" Please, tell me why. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

The oil in the putty will make plastic brittle over time & will seep into & stain the stone materials.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

I see no reason why it can't be used on granite and marble since they are stone. ??

Reply to
Mint

You didn't read the BQ340 answer? He/she/it is right.

Reply to
dadiOH

I see no reason why it can't be used on granite and marble since they are stone. ??

Porous stone. You could end up with stains, rings, or worse. OTOH, who cares if you mess up your own house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Granite is hard as hell and I'd think it would be OK but marble is quite soft and can get porous.

Reply to
Tony

"Plumbers putty contains oil. Do not use on marble, granite, plastics or any porous surfaces. A silicon caulk or Hercules Sta-Put Ultra putty is formulated for those surfaces." see complete directions at:

buffalobill

If the stone needs that much "coddling", I would just stick to formica. :-) That stuff in my mother's house lasted over 50 years.

Andy

Reply to
Mint