plumber's putty

Ready to install the sink hardware for a garbage disposal. I looked at the instructions and says"DO NOT USE ON MARBLE, GRANITE, PLASTIC OR ANY OTHER DIMENSIONAL STONE" Please, tell me why. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson
Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

The oil in the putty will make plastic brittle over time & will seep into & stain the stone materials.
MikeB

I see no reason why it can't be used on granite and marble since they are stone. ??
Mint wrote:

You didn't read the BQ340 answer? He/she/it is right.
--

dadiOH

I see no reason why it can't be used on granite and marble since they are stone. ??
Porous stone. You could end up with stains, rings, or worse. OTOH, who cares if you mess up your own house.

If the stone needs that much "coddling", I would just stick to formica. :-) That stuff in my mother's house lasted over 50 years.
Andy
Mint wrote:

Granite is hard as hell and I'd think it would be OK but marble is quite soft and can get porous.

"Plumbers putty contains oil. Do not use on marble, granite, plastics or any porous surfaces. A silicon caulk or Hercules Sta-Put Ultra putty is formulated for those surfaces." see complete directions at: http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/How_to_Use/Plumbers_Putty.pdf