plumber problem - what now?

Page 2 of 2
"I think a lawyer would probably be more dishonest than the plumber."
Well, they certainly cost more. I guess I'm amazed at all these responses. The OP just paid the guy and found the leak in 15 mins, so there isn't any huge damage involved, just some wet carpet. He didn't say how long he's been calling without getting a return call. I'd certainly give the guy a chance to respond before I escalate everything into crisis mode. I agree if the job was done right, it never should have happened. But any of the other avenues, they are going to expect that you gave him some reasonable amount of time to respond.

He did the job Friday. I've called him twice a day since and he won't return my phone calls. This morning the gas company came to hook up the new heater. I asked him if he knew the plumber. He didn't but said it was no big deal to fix the plumber's other water leak on the 5/8 inch line while he was here. Yeah, let's here it for the local propane company. So now, both leaks are repaired and the carpet cleaners will be here tomorrow. I'm not going to tell the plumber the leaks are fixed. Perhaps it'll give him something to nag at him, perhaps not.
Bob

And charge double the price.
I'd get an estimate on carpet cleaning. Send the plumber a letter asking for the cost of cleaning. If no response, get the work done, thenhead for small claims court. Most states have them and it only cost about $25 to $50 to file a claim. If he does not show, you win. Just showing up will cost him more that what he'd have to pay you. Even if you never collect, you get some satisfaction from yanking his chain.
Do not call your insurance company and file a claim as suggested above. It's the plumbers fault, and they need to be responsible for the cost of fixing it, not you via higher insurance rates.
Bob,
Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a claim. Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do this). File a complaint with the licensing board.
Dave M.
I would be careful about filing an insurance claim. The way things are now, some insurance companies are just looking for an excuse to drop you. There are many horror stories about folks who have made routine claims and had their insurance company refuse to cover them any longer. It is really easy to get 'blacklisted'.

claim.
this).

Especially if you live in Florida....the insurance companies are looking to dump customers in hurricane alley....though the alley done moved last summer!
-> Bob, -> -> Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a claim. -> Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do this). -> File a complaint with the licensing board.
I doubt that your insurance company will do anything about it if it is just water. I had a roof leak that my insurance company (State Farm) would pay to repair, but they would do nothing about the carpet -- even if there was mildew due to the water from the roof leak. They suggested that I just use a fan to dry it out read well.
In fact, your carpet may be just fine if you suck up as much of the moisture as you can (shop vac or carpet shampooer) and dry it out using a fan or two.
I agree that an insurance claim might be the wrong way to go. Besides, your claim may be less than your deductable.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

The plumber stopped by this afternoon and agreed it was his problem and said he'd take care of everything. He was a little slow in his response and actually didn't respond until I threatened, but in the end, he agreed it was his fault.
Bob

Is the leak like this one?
www.tubgirl.com
Oscar_Lives posted for all of us....

Ohhh Oscar, that's not a leak, thats a fountain!
--
Tekkie

the > work, he turned water back on and didn't check for leaks. There was > nothing obvious at first, but 15 minutes after he left the bedroom carpet > was soaked in one corner. He had put the ferrule in backwards in a > compression fitting in the bathroom. I fixed that leak and phoned his > answering machine to express my displeasure and ask him what he was going > to do about the stained carpet. An hour later I discovered a second leak > on a compression fitting on 5/8 inch copper pipe. I phoned again and again > and he won't call back. Since this guy is licensed, should I notify the > state licensing board? I'm afraid to call another licensed plumber because > the next guy might be worse than the first one so I'll get out my torch > and sweat in a decent fitting to replace the compression fitting, but I'm > still p*ssed about the carpet. I somehow thought a licensed professional > would know how to connect two pipes together.

Is the leak like this one?
That was in BAD TASTE!!!