pleat spacer problems for aprilaire model 2200

I'm at my wits end with the pleat spacers for the apirlaire model 2200 air filter installed on my furnace/AC system.

It's now 98 degrees outside here in the Chicago area and I have no AC because the pleat spacers on the filter keep falling off and subsequently the filter media gets sucked into the intake/blower fan and getting chewed up.

I tried what the previous homeowner had apparently done, which was to tape the pleat spacers to the outer seal box with duct tape, but that only lasts so long with the dust and air flow strength conditions. Eventually, the pleat spacers fall out again. If the media doesn't get chewed up in the fan, its just hanging there, making it almost impossible to lift the seal box out of the chamber.

Should they be snapping firmly into the slots of the outer seal box or are they just supposed to rest in their slots loosely like they are now? What do I replace if not--just the pleat spacers or the whole kit?!

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
crwng

I have one, your spacers are broke, the previous owner broke them. You are Chgo area, Email me where, I have an extra set. Or as Heat Man said tape in a temporary filter. The 2200 I do not like the track does not seal, a poor design as dust passes over the top of the slide in filter holder.

Reply to
m Ransley

They are supposed to snap into place. You must need new spacers, they are available through your contractor.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

You might want to try a pre-assembled filter. here's one:

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Thanks! Unfortunately the part that is most broken is the outer plastic holder for the filter. I confirmed this with a technician in person. This pre-assembled filter tries to snap into the same groove as the pleat spacers, but the outer holder has weakened over time and bowed so as to not tightly hold anything that snaps to it.

The technician I talked to has ordered a replacement filter that is self-contained. You take it out of the box and drop it into the chamber. Done. If you happen to know where I can find those online so as to compare the price I'm getting from this guy vs. what I can get direct, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Reply to
crwng