Please recommend hand tools brands

Page 1 of 2
Hi
I would like to get myself some tools set at home depot or lowes for common jobs at home or for the car. What shall I look for as far as brands and prices? I don't need the top or bottom, average stuff is good. I would like to buy complete hand tool sets like they have often, wrenches, screw drivers and the likes. Not sure what is a good deal or not either.
Thanks for the help
Patrick

Avg stuff can cost more in the long run especialy working on a car which stresses and ruins cheap tools. If you will use it every week or month get a lifetime warranty.
varois83 wrote:

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on sale--just watch for sale fliers.

Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value HW stores.

I thought Craftsman had lost their lustre. Somewhere I read/heard that they are not what they were. Off-shored, or what?
Your opinion?
Aspasia
On Apr 20, 4:06pm, aspasia wrote:

Ive returned broken craftsman hand tools with no reciept or questions asked, like when using screwdrivers as crobars on stone.
"aspasia" wrote in message you wrote:

In my opinion I believe they are no longer top quality. They are not el-cheapo but not the quality they once had. That said, they are not bad and are not badly priced.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:06:52 -0700, aspasia you wrote:

Many years ago, Craftsman was limited to specific tools. Later, Sears branched out to more mass produced items and well as one-off items that are manufactured off-shore. When that happened, their quality suffered, however their warranty still stands.
I guess they figure that sheer numbers of units sold outweigh those that ask for replacements.
01dyna wrote:

What do you define as "many"?

Hand tools ime are essentially the same quality they've always been and the warranty is still applicable to Craftsman-labeled only, not "Companion" or other lines.
It would be hard to find any of the others of comparable pricing and warranty that aren't made offshore also, including I strongly suspect, the M M branded items from T V. There's even a reasonable prospect they're made by the same outfits in the same factories, simply to different spec's and branded per customer.

20 years or more...I have Craftsman tools handed down to me that are *at least* that old and they are FAR better quality than the ones sold today.

..hogwash. You make this up as you go along. Do you know *anything* about hand tools?

..nope..made in USA with forged steel.
01dyna wrote:

I've stuff that's at least 3X that...

Probably far more than you, I'm getting to feel... :(
Although on reflection, it's probably been nearly 20 years since I bought any additional hand tools to speak of since I had my own which I brought when came back to the farm where there was already an 80-year accumulation of essentially everything needed.
I've swapped out one pair of electrician's pliers the son chipped a jaw in by using them to try to cut #10 fencing wire instead of Cu and as near as I can tell, their identical other than the handle cushion material is slightly different to the pair that were probably on the order of 20 years old, themselves.
OTTT, I think the only additional hand tools I've bought since I returned was a full metric socket set for 1/2 and 3/4 drive as that was the one place I was short and until recently most farm equipment was still SAE so that was the place Dad was short, too.
On sale, their kits including another socket and breakover were cheaper than anything else that I saw in town. Of course, we don't have a True Value so couldn't go there...
01dyna wrote:

There are a number who offer lifetime warranties -- I have no direct experience on how easy/difficult it is to collect on them from anybody other than Sears. Sears, however, is still a trivial process I know.
Others may have experience on the working end of the warranties for some of the others...

Master Mechanic is like Craftsman, in that you can go to any True Value hardware store and swap them out on the spot. I believe you can also send them to to Ace/True Value and they'll send you a replacement.
Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.
01dyna wrote:

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?
Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in comparison is all...

Not a thing in this context...
The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP, there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.
There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its unwarranted.

..in another life, I worked part time at a local True Value. Their policy is, if it's broke, replace it. No receipt is required.

...what track record is that? That they will replace a defective and/or broken item? They're not unique in that market, just the best marketing.

..I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. Just because Craftsman has a "no questions asked warranty", that doesn't mean they're better, or even good. Personally, I'd rather buy *really* good tools over one with a great warranty.
Working on something that *must* be fixed *right now*, doesn't give me the warm fuzzies when a critical tool snaps on me and I have to drive across town for a (free) replacement. I've had three Craftsman box wrenches and two socket wrenches crap out on me. Murhphys Law, it was a Sunday evening and the local Sears store was closed. Fat lot of good a replacement warranty did for me then.

I already did mention one. You tried to discredit it by inferring that their warranty isn't a good or as flexible. Hey, if you're partial to Craftsman, knock yourself out. I personally don' t have anything against Craftsman, but they're not the only tool in town. It's apparent you have a soft spot for them to defend them so blindly.
Me, I like to keep an open mind.
Incidentally, if Craftsman were *that* good, you'd see more of them in professional mechanics toolsets but you don't. They have to use those tools *every day* and time down running across town to replace a tool is money lost. Snap On tools are some of the *best*. MUCH more expensive yes, but some day, I'd like replace everything (except my Proto socket set), with Snap Ons.
01dyna wrote:

That's good, I've not had any of theirs so just checking it's same or at least similar...

That was the subject in question and marketing or no, they've been at it far longer than T V or much of anybody else that I know of. _That_ track record of continuing the policy for something like 40 years or so now...how long has T V had their policy in effect?

There's no "jumping" to a conclusion whatsoever wrt Craftsman _hand_ tools about them being serviceable for the type of service OP requested tools for. That, and that only, is the point of any response I've made in this thread.
Whether your choice matches that of the OP isn't the question here.

Well, I've used a lot of Craftsman wrenches in very difficult circumstances and can say have never managed to break one, even w/ the hammer and/or cheater trick. You must be lucky that way, and I suspect if the local Sears was closed on a Sunday evening odds are pretty high your local T V was closed as well. Sometimes stuff happens.

I did nothing of the sort -- I simply asked for clarification as I've no experience w/ theirs...

I'm not particularly partial to Craftsman, no...I stand by the original recommendation to OP for his purpose, however.

I'm not defending them any more than I think your attacking is unjustified for the purpose stated. I realize it is usenet protocol to jump Sears, Wally-World, BORGs, etc., at a drop of the name, and where justified I'll climb on board, too. In this instance I don't think it's justified is all. You took a question for a personal attack, apparently.

I've Proto stuff inherited from grandfather and father that is clearly far superior to anything Craftsman made in finish, etc., ... OTOH, there's some Sears stuff of the same vintage that is every bit as serviceable if not quite as pleasing to touch.
This is working farm so tools are one of the life blood items...
you wrote:

I agree. I was raised on Craftsman and I'm sixty. But lately, I've had a lot of Craftsman stuff crap out on me, and there's items that seem just a little cheesy. They're an okay tool brand, but definitely not the best.
What's the best? Whatever works, doesn't break or strip out when you're using it, and lasts until you have gotten your money's worth out of it. That can mean a tool chest of mismatched tools. A good craftsman can make lots of marginal tools terminate in a good ending. And then, a guy can have good tools, and not be able to do a lot. Talent and training are worth far more than tools. Of any brand.
Steve

Yes but don't get sold on the Craftsman name just because their hand tools are lifetime guaranteed. Their other tools are not. My brother had the seals in the Craftsman floor jack that we bought him go bad within the first 18 months.
(Ehrin Lloyd)
Aaron Eel wrote: ...

Never said they were...

Yes but don't get sold on the Craftsman name just because their hand tools are lifetime guaranteed. Their other tools are not. My brother had the seals in the Craftsman floor jack that we bought him go bad within the first 18 months.
(Ehrin Lloyd)
Craftsman hand tools are pretty good and warranted for life even without a receipt as noted by others. The price is about 5X more than the no name Chinese hand tools that is also warranted for life so Sears could afford to replace a socket or a wrench once in a while. I noticed the steel on the hand saws and cold chisels are not as good as from the 960s but still warranted for life. Their floor jacks, dill bits and other non powered tools are not warranted for life. With the exception of the Professional series, my experience with Craftsman power tools are not good and its no wonder its know as "Crapsman" by many.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=Crapsman&num &scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny81&as_maxd &as_maxm=4&as_maxy 08&safe=off