plastic eyeglass frames

They were MY bifocal lenses, and I have astigmatism, which makes things even more complicated as far as correct centering and rotation angle. I had also gone to a chain place located inside a Walmart, where they were more than willing to put my lenses into one of their frames, or put their lenses into frames I bought on the internet, but couldn't do either on site.

There is no magic to measuring and cutting a piece of plasic accurately.

Reply to
salty

How will you eat if there isn't someone ther to spoon feed you?

Reply to
salty

These sophomoric replies work for you?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thats making a new lens for an old frame - putting old (irreplaceable) lens in new frame is far less trivial.

Reply to
clare

I adjust my responses to the person I'm addressing, in an effort to accomodate their shortcomings.

Unfortunately for you, I can't draw a picture with crayons that you would understand more easily. It's a limitation of usenet.

Reply to
salty

No, it's not. All you need is to pick out a new frame that is slightly smaller in all dimenisons. Cutting an old lens to a new, slightly smaller, size is no more difficult than cutting a new lens to fit a frame, which is how all eyeglasses are made.

Reply to
salty

Except for ONE problem. If you break a new lens you make a new one. If you break an irreplaceable old lens, you are SCREWED.

Reply to
clare

I'll take that as a yes.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ever try to break an eyeglass lens? Did you damage the bulldozer you ran over it with? Cutting a plastic lense is trivial. I'm quite sure any optometrist, like any car mechanic will state up front that they are not responsible fo parts brought in from elsewhere. Whenever I had new lenses fitted to old frames, they always warn that some old frames don't survive the process because the frame has already been bent once for the previous lens mounting.

In other words, it's a non-issue. Those "irreplaceable" lenses aren't that valuable anyway.

Reply to
salty

You can take it as an enema if that's what works for you.

Reply to
salty

On Sat 10 Apr 2010 08:44:42a, notbob told us...

Do it the right way... Go to an optician and have them find a frame which matches closely to your lenses. They can make them fit, especially if the frame is a wire-based frame.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've considered that, Wayne. Problem is, finding a similar frame. Eyeglass frames are fashion driven and the current fashion is that squinty narrow frame like old 80s biker glasses. My lenses are much wider vertically. I recently went to a local mom/pop op shop and asked about aviator style frames. They acted like they'd been gut shot! How gauche of me. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

On Thu 15 Apr 2010 10:46:01a, notbob told us...

More's the pity. I'd have thought there would be more variety.

As far as repairng the existing frame, I lean toward chemical welding of the plastic than bonding with glue, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

He hasn't really looked for the right frames. He went to one shop that was clueless and he gave up.

If he really can't find what he wants locally, there are places on the internet that sell frames at huge savings. They have thousands of frames of every style imaginable. Many of them give instructions on their sites for how to measure your current frames. It's really very simple. Notbob just seems to want to make this all as difficult as possible and then say it can't be done.

All he needs to do is measure his current frames, and pick out a frame that looks similar and has slightly smaller dimensions for the lens opening. Then any optician can recut his old lensesa and put them in frames from the internet.

Reply to
salty

You keep talking but contributing zilch. Where are these prolific websites and magical fingered grinder techs. I fess total ignorance. You gonna step up and help or just keep criticizing?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I had that problem this year. Granny glasses don't make very good bi-focals. I really need full-size lenses to seen the entire screen(s) without moving my head. Only one pair of frames in our vision plan was large enough to put a decent set of lenses in and they sucked. The optician didn't have an other decent ones to choose from either. I got the crappy pair and then had another set of lenses made for my older frames. Hopefully styles will change by the time I need another set of glasses.

Reply to
krw

Same issues I ran into- only my old frames were shot (screw holes wallowed out and stripped), so new lenses for those was not an option. I have them wired together, fishing-fly style, as my emergency backups now.

I really need to get online, and get some minature bolts and nuts (like I used to be able to buy at the local hobby shop before it closed), and make some through-bolts for all the old worn-out glasses I have laying around. Almost as nerdy as patching old birth-control plastic frames with friction tape, I realize, but has been effective in the past.

Reply to
aemeijers

I said it before and I'll say it again

The stuff is FANTASTIC.. It'ff fix anything but the crack of dawn or a broken heart.

Reply to
clare

Contributing zilch? All you have done is whine and complain. I've given you plenty of help that you have virtually ignored. If you had followed my suggestions instead of complaining about how they wouldn't work, your glasses would be on your nose by now. Your entire effort so far is that you asked at one shop and they weren't helpful.

If you know enough to find a usenet group, surely you can find Google.

Stop bitching and DO something to help yourself.

Reply to
salty

By an amazing coincidence, I was just going through a stack of papers and ran across the receipt from where I got a pair of Bolle sunglass frames for $49 online. This was to replace an old pair that I was really happy with.

For $49 plus $6 shipping I got the frames with plain glass lenses in them (the local optician used them as a template for cutting new prescription lenses)

Hard Case

safety neck strap

microfiber cleaning bag

7 function Swiss Army knife

Visor clip sunglass holder

If you go price Bolle sunglasses in a retail store, they are in the hundreds for just the frames. My local optician didn't even raise an eyebrow about me supplying the frames. In fact, they were the ones who suggested it, when they couldn't supply me with the frames I wanted.

If you do a little of your own research, you might even find a source for your old discontinued frames. See if you can find any numbers or identifying marls anywhere on them. The size is often in microscopic numbers on the bridge piece, and other info is on the temples.

Reply to
salty