Pipe to Septic Tank

Page 1 of 3

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3 feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that pipe? Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do. Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large white pipe or reduce it in size? Thank you.

paint it concrete grey and attach a bird bath on top? With spacers to permit air flow.
lee

It could be a cleanout that was left high for some reason, or a vent. I'd find out what it is, why it's so high, then proceed. They are usually cut off at ground level, and a "Jim Cap" put on them. A rubber cover that has two stainless steel hose clamps. You want to leave it low enough so you can mow over it.
Steve
car crash wrote:

If it's capped (likely), it's simply a cleanout connection. Cut it off low and cap it again.
Jim

No it is an air vent I've confirmed. Does it have to be 3 feet off the ground by code or something ??? Can I cut it in half and make it much smaller. Its currently in the shape of a candy cane. None of the pieces are glued together, I can pull the 3 pieces apart.
car crash wrote:

Ah. Yes, vent. If you are really concerned about any Code issues, a call to the County should clarify the requirements. The height could be an issue if you get deep snow there, or possible flooding during rains.
Otherwise, just cut it down, as you said. You could even reduce the diameter which will make the return bend ("U") a lot smaller. It can always be restored to original if need be. Your call...
Jim

Now that you make me think about it, where I've seen vents out in the septic field they've always been higher than the trap at the house leading to the field.
Bill
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:55:40 -0400, "Berkshire Bill"

When I thought about it I could never; ever, remember one three feet tall in FRONT of a house...any house? -- Oren

Seems to me that vent pipe(s) would be on roof of house. I have a clean-out pipe capped at ground level but vents are on roof.
Frank

Maybe you should move to a real neighbourhood you peice of white trash shit.
On 8 Apr 2007 15:26:39 -0700, "Harry Delaney"

STFU
-- Oren
"Too many beggars trying to be choosers."

paint it green

You need another NYM; maybe, OK SUK WHANG.
Do not still this person's identity. Died: 4/4/90? -- Oren

why?
huh?

Y is a crooked letter! -- Oren

huh?

huh? hell, pay attention!
(PS) you don't moderate this group; nor. should your NYM imply that you are a moderator.
I'm selling clues! -- Oren

why?

Nope, Talking about a circa 60's coke machine...
You really had to mention those three letters; in CAP LOC, no less?
The bored member: here thinks, well never mind! Got a letter for a car that did not exist. The bride called and they said it was a PC error.
More like an ID-10-T (write it down) error.
This GUY; posting as a moderator (stated or expressed cannot moderate a turd pile) wants to ascend into a title. -- Oren

well it looks like english but makes no sense. sorry you don't like my nym, but there is nothing you can do to stop me so...........good luck with you're other endeavors