Pinging Appliance Repair Aid

I got involved in a discussion on another newsgroup with a Brit who mentioned that his 1980s era clothes washing machine was driven by a universal motor (with brushes, and the source of his problem with it was that the brushes needed replacing.
I know that universal motors are used in small appliances like blenders, mixmasters and hair dryers, but I was supprised to hear him say that his washing machine used one, because I can't recall seeing anything other than induction motors in washing machines here in the US since perhaps the late '40s.
I thought Britain got rid of residential DC power long ago, maybe I'm wrong about that? <G>
Is my understanding of the motors used in US washing machines correct?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

G'day,
Yup.
In the last 10 years or so ( esp with front load washers becomming for common ) we now have AC and DC brush motors being used in washers.