Pinging Appliance Repair Aid

I got involved in a discussion on another newsgroup with a Brit who mentioned that his 1980s era clothes washing machine was driven by a universal motor (with brushes, and the source of his problem with it was that the brushes needed replacing.

I know that universal motors are used in small appliances like blenders, mixmasters and hair dryers, but I was supprised to hear him say that his washing machine used one, because I can't recall seeing anything other than induction motors in washing machines here in the US since perhaps the late '40s.

I thought Britain got rid of residential DC power long ago, maybe I'm wrong about that?

Is my understanding of the motors used in US washing machines correct?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

G'day,

Yup.

In the last 10 years or so ( esp with front load washers becomming for common ) we now have AC and DC brush motors being used in washers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid