Ping John Grabowski

Hi, John..posted this discussion a few weeks ago and it was suggested I contact you, since you're in Jersey and may be able to tell me what to expect as an estimate...

Reply to
mpenny

Hi Marsha. Thanks for asking. If you go back to your original posting and read my comments you will see that I have already answered all of your questions. In a nutshell with the price range that you have received it appears that you're not comparing apples to apples. The low price may be just to change the panel while the higher price is for changing everything. The work should have been spelled out in the written proposals that you received.

Here's the link to your original posting:

John Grabowski

responding to

mpenny wrote: So sorry, John! Didn't see that.

This is what was included on the estimates I received, along with the estimate price:

$3,100 Upgrade 150 Amp service due to weather head not attached to house which cannot be repaired and panel only 20 circuit and overloaded. Install 150 Amp service upgrade. This includes outside service in PVC pipe. 30 circuit Sg. D. Homeline panel with upgrade of grounding system. Permit fee is additional.

$1,500 Replace Electrical service to above address New service to be 240 volt , 150 amp service installed in 11/4 inch pvc conduit New 150 amp ,, 36 circuit main circuit breaker panel Up dated grounding to Electrical Codes

$800 Install 30 Circuit 150amp Panel : Includes all parts ,labor,& permit costs. Scope Of work: Remove existing 150 amp 18 Circuit Panel & replace with new

30 Circuit 150 amp panel with new circuit breakers. Install outside ground rods and equipment grounding system.Install new water meter grounding as per code. Re-attach exterior Service head left unsupported by new siding.

I think they are the same. Only the $1,500 electrician gave me a referral, but just one, a new house behind me. He didn't seem to include the exterior service head, but when we talked he did so I would have him redo the estimate to include that, plus there's an additional charge from him for the permit. The circuits are different, but I wouldn't figure that to be a 1,500 or 700 dollar difference.

Regards, Marsha

Reply to
mpenny

I'm not John, but after skimming that, I have to ask - if you are having new service wires pulled and a new panel installed, why are you not just upgrading to 200A? Also what is the panel the 2nd electrician is going to use? Others may have other preferences but at least within the Square-D line, I believe that QO is considered to be a higher-end panel than Homeline.

I'm not trying to spend your money, honestly - but it seems odd that you'd have a new 150A service and panel put in when most of what you're paying for is likely labor, not the materials themselves.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

responding to

mpenny wrote: Nate,

I'm clueless so any tips are appreciated! All said 200A were not necessary for the size of our house, even if we were to put on an additional bedroom and bathroom. They were upgrading the circuits..if you look at the original post John provided the link for, you'll see my BIL suggested the upgrade.

So I guess I am really comparing apples to oranges...

Marsha

Reply to
mpenny

The first two estimates are essentially to replace the existing 150 amp service with another, except for a larger panel, and upgraded grounding system. Despite your electrical needs, I would never install a 150 amp service, as the difference between it, and a 200 amp service are literally pennies.

It sounds like the weatherhead is broken, so it needs to be disconnected from the service drop and replaced, then reattached.

From the information the three estimates provide, it seems that your panel is overloaded, not your service. I would ask for a price from each of these contractors for replacing the broken head and reattaching it, adding a 16 full circuit sub panel with 100 amp main, and transferring overloaded circuits to the new panel, and upgrading the grounding system. All work is to include permits and inspections.

Reply to
RBM

*Marsha I agree with RBM. I would make one change though. I would install a 24 or 30 circuit sub-panel since you plan to add a bedroom down the road.

Price #3 is in the ballpark, but low and price #2 ($1500.) seems too good to be true. Price #1 is in the ballpark for a 200 amp upgrade complete. If price #1 is the company that you want to use, I would ask them to change it to a 200 amp service for the same price as the 150 amp.

Reply to
John Grabowski

responding to

mpenny wrote: I actually thought #1 was overpriced, and liked #2 best, plus his cost was better. Thought #3 was too cheap and it made me wary.

I will ask for what you all have suggested, 200 amp, subpanel, weatherhead, permit and inspections.

I will come back with what they say. Thanks for the feedback! ;

-)

Reply to
mpenny

responding to

mpenny wrote: I requested the following: You visited my house in April and gave me an estimate of $800 on some

He replied:

Reply to
mpenny

*His price is almost identical to the one in the middle and it is for similar work. Now your comparing apples to apples.
Reply to
John Grabowski