Peel and Stick Tile

We found some decent looking wood pattern Peel and Stick Tile (Vinyl, I think) which we thought would work over the cement floor in the basement. After a little while after applying (days or weeks) they started to peel and warp upwards.
It was very humid in the basement, could that have helped cause this problem? We put in a dehumidifier and I think I'll get one of those aquarium pumps referred to in other posts to automatically empty it, because I don't think my son bothers to empty it, and I don't get down there too often.
It seems to alleviate the problem somewhat, but I don't get down there too often and don't look too closely. Should I have put down a plywood layer over the cement first, then the tiles? I know this is better, but is it absolutely necessary?
I've been told the glue on the self-adhesives is fine. Any comments on that?
Rufus
"Rufus V. Smith" wrote in message ...

Jasco makes a product that I have used with success prior to installing self-stick vinyl tiles. Their Adhesive Primer is available at Home Depot (SKU #983888)...
"For use on drywall, hardboard, plywood, concrete, and Glasscrete. Primes floors and walls before applying adhesive. Prevents dry out when adhesive is drawn below the surface. Eliminates the need for sizing before applying wallpaper. Ensures adhesion of self-stick floor tile. Easy water cleanup. Covers 300 to 500 square feet per gallon."
Rick
snip

Thanks for this timely tip; we're about to do the same thing in our basement project. We haven't had problems with the tiles that are there, but I'd rather do a little "overkill" for the new tiles.
Rufus V. Smith wrote:

If that moisture is coming up through the floor, no amount of dehumidifying is going to fix the problem with the tile. You need to fix the moisture problem first.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Here is a product made for moisture problems. As Joseph said, you must deal with the moisture transmission level for success. http://www.leescarpets.com/Techservices/Guides/Everseal.pdf This product was recently installed on a problem floor area, the new VCT has been laid, no problems month #1, only time will tell.
My personal experience with self stick is very poor. I have talked with many commercial floor installers - none I know will install self stick without using their own glue.
The industry requires and suggests calcium chloride tests for vapor transmission before flooring installations. This is a wide spread problem brought on by tighter buildings, increased fresh air HVAC requirements that can cause short cycling, faster building schedules, and vapor barrier problems.
A dehumidifier may help, but cannot cure if the vapor transmission rate of the floor is over 6 lbs./1000/day
--

Keep the whole world singing. . .

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:42:04 -0400, "Rufus V. Smith"

That's not surprising, concrete is very porous and moisture seeps through it quite readily. It would have been much better to put down a wood underlayment or sealed the concrete before putting down the tile.