peel and stick tiles

Hi I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do somethin g quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is n ow laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this floor or do I need to use a glue?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

do I need to use a glue?

A friend used peel and stick on a 100-year old floor that had held a printing shop. The floor had 100 years of dirt in it and the tile didn't stick for long. If yours is clean and smooth and flat, it will probably do a lot better. Dips won't interfere, but bumps will.

They've been selling the stuff for 40 or more years so it must be satisfactory most of the time.

Reply to
micky

hing quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which i s now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

or or do I need to use a glue?

I don't see why it would not work either. But it would not be among my choices for a bedroom. It does look like what is there now is one of the engineered laminate wood products. It's possible that it could be refininshed and then you'd have a nice wood floor. Most of them can be sanded at least a couple of times, but it would depend on the condition, defects, etc of the whole floor.

If that can't be done, and cost is a factor, then I'd look at one of the fake laminates, like Pergo. IMO, that would look a lot better than tiles.

Reply to
trader4

ething quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles b ut I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

loor or do I need to use a glue?

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not k now how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like peel and stick? Thanks

Reply to
leza wang

omething quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom whi ch is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

floor or do I need to use a glue?

know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to g o with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy li ke peel and stick? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Have you thought about carpet tiles for a bedroom. Softer on the feet when walking around barefoot.

Reply to
hrhofmann

omething quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom whi ch is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

floor or do I need to use a glue?

know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to g o with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy li ke peel and stick? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure there are plenty of DIY videos either at websites like Pergo or HD or just on Youtube. It's not much harder than installing the peel-n-stick tiles. The flooring comes in sectons maybe a foot wide. It gets cut and then glue is applied on the edges. One section gets glued to the next, but the whole thing is not attached to the floor, it just floats. The one thing you would need would be a suitable mitre saw to make the cuts, which you can rent if you don't have one.

Have you ruled out refinishing what is already there?

Reply to
trader4

ing quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

r or do I need to use a glue?

Make sure whatever you decide upon does not interfere with doors opening, cutting off the bottom of a door requires some tender care.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like peel and stick? Thanks

Yes, it is easy. One piece just snaps into the end and side of adjacent pieces (they have built in tongues and grooves). Some may need gluing to adjacent pieces but some do not. When you reach the end wall, you DO have to cut (with any sort of saw) that piece to the proper length. The same with peel and stick tiles except you can use scissors or a knife.

To make either job look good you need a base board or some sort of molding around the perimeter of the room to hide the cut edges.

I don't know the cost of the tile but you can get laminate for well under $1.00/sq.ft. You can also get it for much more.

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

I had said mitre saw, but you're right. To do one bedroom you could use various types of saws. One of the small circular saw, either corded or cordless would work.

Reply to
trader4

:

something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick til es but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom w hich is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

is floor or do I need to use a glue?

ot know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like peel and stick? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

thanks for your reply. I am thinking now of installing Laminate floor inste ad. Can I install it on top of the floor I have now? which i think it is a lso laminate but an old one? or do I need under pad? Thanks as always

Reply to
leza wang

Home Depot has a relatively new product that is sort of "peel-and-stick", but it is vinyl flooring strips that look like wood. But, they don't "peel-and-stick" to the floor below -- instead the strips stick to each other and it creates a new "floating floor" that goes over the old floor. Since it is a floating floor, you can easily take it up later since it is not stuck to the floor below.

The product may be called "Allure" vinyl flooring strips, or something like that. I'll try to find a better description and maybe even a YouTube video about it.

I think it may be perfect for what you want to do.

Reply to
TomR

I've been monitoring this subject, thinking it might help me w/my bathroom floor. It's white vinyl, damaged where various idiots dropped stuff on it, and generally looking weary.

The simplest solution is what I need. These vinyl flooring strips sounded ideal until the "floating" aspect came up. Does this mean they might "ripple" as one walks on the floor?

Inquiring minds...

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Okay, here's the info on Allure TrafficMaster Vinyl Flooring:

The flooring strips stick to each other, but not to the floor below. So, you don't have to worry about whether what you put down will stick to the floor below. It is a complete floating floor. I have some samples that I got from a Home Depot demonstration that I attended as part of a recent real estate investor group meeting in my area.

Reply to
TomR

No, it won't "ripple" as one walks on the floor. Check out my other post about this which includes these videos:

.

As I wrote in my other posts, I have samples of the stuff that I took home from a demonstration that I attended.

Take a look at it at Home Depot and see what you think.

Reply to
TomR

P.S. It also comes in styles that look like regular floor tiles rather than just the wood laminate look.

Reply to
TomR

That sounds really good idea. Do I need to put anything underneath it, like pad or anything (similar to Laminate floor)? Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

No, you don't need to put anything underneath it. It doesn't require any pad etc. and I think it is not supposed to go over any type of padding. The backing that is already on it serves as the padding.

Reply to
TomR

P.P.S. There is also a product that is similar in name, but is put together in a different way. That one is Allure TrafficMaster INTERLOCKING flooring -- where the pieces snap together and interlock, rather than sticking together.

Here is a descriptive video of the INTERLOCKING Allure TrafficMaster which shows the pieces snapping together:

. This is just so you can see the difference in how the two different types are installed.

I wouldn't recommend using the "Interlock" flooring without giving it more study, thought, and research.

I think the Allure TrafficMaster Vinyl Flooring where the strips STICK together rather than SNAP together would be a better choice.

Reply to
TomR

WCwhDk.  This is just so you can see

The video's really showed how simple that flooring is to install, really not any harder than peel and stick. Quite amazing as they seem to indicate itis fairly waterproof. I wonder about the 25 year guarantee, but is sure seems great. Unfortunately I don't have any flooring needs for an excuse to try it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question, but I do wonder why you think peel-and-stick (P&S) tiles (usually found on the outside porches in trailer parks) would be better than the existing laminate?

Is it because the existing floor covering - the laminate - is damaged?

I'll admit to using P&S when my water heater sprung a leak and flooded the carpeting in a nearby breakfast room. I knew, however, that the installation was to be temporary and the P&S was the cheapest remedy. Within a month, I replaced the P&S with ceramic tile, at $0.49/sq ft.

Reply to
HeyBub