PC antivirus software question

You got that wrong too. I am not hirsute, shower regularly and couldn't care less to talk to an incompetent person like you about computers.

I was helping the OP when you began your venomous pro-Windows spew, remember? No, you won't.

In case you worry, I am not trying to convert you to Linux, honest. Stay with Windows, someone has to pay the sucker price for software, and that someone is you.

Reply to
Chris

Didn't say you were hairy. If you knew much about set theory, or even logic, you'd see that the set I mentioned was not complete. In other words the set of hairy people is not identical with the set of Linux users. As for competence, you may be right. I teach computing science at the university level and we academics have a well-deserved reputation for not living in the real world. But I only teach part-time, some maybe you'll cut me some slack.

I didn't start it. Someone - it may have been you - began touting the superiority of Linux when the original subject had nothing to do with Ubuntu or some other incarnation of Linux. Many Linux users are like that - proposing Linux as better than fish. "I use Windows." (get Linux!). "I need an AV program for XP." (get Linux). "I have a flat!" (get Linux). "Isn't it a shame about famine in Sudan?" (get Linux). "I have giant festering, fungating boils all over my body. My dog, too!" (get Linux).

As for helping people way back when, I was employed as a programmer in 1964 and have been doing computer work since. You young whippersnappers just don't get it.

I own a software company. I develop software for a living. I expect to get paid for it and I don't mind paying someone else for their efforts. Folks who base their evaluation of a product or service entirely on price are probably equally happy with a blow-up doll.

I also own a bag full of Microsoft stock, but that in no way influences my opinion. No sir.

Reply to
HeyBub

The subject was a good AV program.

If you don't think Linux is a good suggestion, your logical capabilities are failing you.

Running Linux is an excellent way to protect yourself from computer viruses.

This whippersnapper started in '64 too.

Again those bad analogies... now blow-up dolls are free?

Wow, you admit to owning MSFT? How have the last 8 years been treating you? Not so good huh?

Seriously, MSFT? Were you expecting them to increase their market share? It doesn't pay to buy evil.

Not too late to grab some AAPL. I got some in 2005. Sure wish I have a bag full.

Reply to
Dan Espen

On 8/14/2008 8:24 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

Speaking of bad analogies, that's a bit like saying "buying a Hummer is an excellent way to protect you from crash injuries in an accident".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You point is well taken. Should someone's goal - to the exclusion of most everything else - be to avoid viruses, then I concede Linux to be a swell solution. So is a stuffed bear paw.

Used ones that don't hold air can probably be had for that price. Does that make the analogy more correct?

Everything is relative. Last week I got a little quarterly dividend checkie-poo for $2,200.00.

At 90+% of the desktop, it would be hard. Microsoft has more cash in the bank (some 50-odd billion dollars) than the budget of California.

Why take sloppy-seconds? Much of the software running on the Mac is written by Microsoft.

Reply to
HeyBub

In other words you speak in half (assed) sentences. Thank you for stating that, but was clear already

Nonsense! You took a jocular suggestion (ever heard of emoticons?) as an attack to the value of your MS stock. What a pathetic little person!

And you are still struggling to grasp the basics of computing?

Not if your "software" performs badly or not better than other software that come with no invoice and no strangling user agreements.

Don't like me using Linux and other free software? Sue me.

Oh, wait, the company you own stock from already tried that, did they not?

Reply to
Chris

Holy crap. The yield on MSFT is 1.6%. That's a pretty big bagful. You're not keeping up with the rate of inflation. That's pretty painful.

If a broker got you into that, you should sue him.

MSFT is trying to prop up their stock with buybacks and dividends. You make 1.6% not counting the steady downward trend of the price.

The AAPL I bought in 2005 is showing an unrealized capital gain of 360%. I'll hold as long as Steve Jobs is around.

None of that sounds like a good reason to buy MSFT. AAPL is also cash rich. That's not a good reason to buy AAPL either. IMO.

Look at what MSFT does with that cash. One money losing effort after another.

Yes, the Office suite is written by MSFT. Smart users will go for Open Office unless it's for business purposes.

Dump that MSFT. You can easily do a LOT better than 1.6%. For example:

PCU, BGF, EGLE, SFL, FDG, COSWF, PWE, HTE, IAF, FRO.

Do your own due diligence. The bonus is, none of those companies are evil.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I'm hereby adding "MSFT", "AAPL", "Open Office", "Linux", and everybody participating in this thread to the killfile.

One of these days you'll all discover sex and wonder why you ever gave a damn about software companies.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nicely said!

Reply to
Chris

This is a step by step of the installation of current Mandriva Linux. My personal favorite distro. I used to dual boot but no longer find anything that I would use Windows for.

My wife still uses Windows only because she plays games online that are only ported to Windows.

You can select the end of your hard drive or add a slave hard drive to install Linux on and keep windows either way. If you choose this choice defrag windows twice before installing Linux. Allow at least 10 Gb for Linux just to check out it's operation.

Reply to
RLM

"Back in the day" when anyone that could operate the keyboard was the new administrator like Windows has worked for years for most folks. Is that what you're talking about?

If you had working knowledge of both current systems, I might listen.

Now all I can say is, I could teach it to you but I can't learn it for you.

I've used both systems and have both running on different boxes in the house. Have a laptop that is still dual boot.

Wife uses Windows and maintains it well. We have used Knoppix Linux to remove a bug though. It runs from a CD.

I'm doing great! Thanks.

Reply to
RLM

I also prefer the second drive option. Makes it extremely easy for the newbie to identify which drive is which. Specially when the second drive is a 40gb while the primary is a 160.

My preference is PCLinuxOS. But like Mandriva it too uses a very simple to use Control Center for configuring the computer. I always get remarks from people who never thought they could have so much flexibility in how their systems looked.

Reply to
Jim

I always like those that trash Linux while in the same breath complain about Virus, Adware, Malware, Blue Screen, and all the holes that come with MicroCrap!!!

Reply to
evodawg

If you asked this in a proper newsgroup you might have gotten an answer rather than gotten PLONKED.

*** PLONK ***
Reply to
getplonked

Hi there!

I think you guys should check out

there are 2 or 3 p= roducts that may be a match, I think that OESIS Framework at
provides a single interface to many antivi= rus packages. Another option is I think Metascan at
which is more for ISV, I also found that many antivirus en= gines certified by OPSWAT at
I hope this helps.=20 Regards,=20

Brian

Reply to
brian.edwards2

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

snipped-for-privacy@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.

The bigger question is, WHY is someone responding to a post that is over THREE yrs old??????

Reply to
Ron

snipped-for-privacy@u20g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

The OP that the idiot was responding to is from '08.

Ron