PC antivirus software question

Page 6 of 6

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If you knew more, you wouldn't get surprised so often by "miracles".
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Linux is another Microsoft mistake!
I've held, for a long time, that the development of Linux was secretly funded by Microsoft in an attempt to drain the nay-sayers, nit-pickers, pettifogs, cut-purses, and athletes of the tongue from the ranks of serious computer users so we normal folk could go about our computing experiences unmolested.
Unfortunately, all the hirsute people who smell funny now gather together electronically and bother the rest of us, much like another Microsoft experiment involving a paper-clip.
HeyBub wrote:

care less to talk to an incompetent person like you about computers.
I was helping the OP when you began your venomous pro-Windows spew, remember? No, you won't.
In case you worry, I am not trying to convert you to Linux, honest. Stay with Windows, someone has to pay the sucker price for software, and that someone is you.
Chris wrote:

Didn't say you were hairy. If you knew much about set theory, or even logic, you'd see that the set I mentioned was not complete. In other words the set of hairy people is not identical with the set of Linux users. As for competence, you may be right. I teach computing science at the university level and we academics have a well-deserved reputation for not living in the real world. But I only teach part-time, some maybe you'll cut me some slack.

I didn't start it. Someone - it may have been you - began touting the superiority of Linux when the original subject had nothing to do with Ubuntu or some other incarnation of Linux. Many Linux users are like that - proposing Linux as better than fish. "I use Windows." (get Linux!). "I need an AV program for XP." (get Linux). "I have a flat!" (get Linux). "Isn't it a shame about famine in Sudan?" (get Linux). "I have giant festering, fungating boils all over my body. My dog, too!" (get Linux).
As for helping people way back when, I was employed as a programmer in 1964 and have been doing computer work since. You young whippersnappers just don't get it.

I own a software company. I develop software for a living. I expect to get paid for it and I don't mind paying someone else for their efforts. Folks who base their evaluation of a product or service entirely on price are probably equally happy with a blow-up doll.
I also own a bag full of Microsoft stock, but that in no way influences my opinion. No sir.

The subject was a good AV program.
If you don't think Linux is a good suggestion, your logical capabilities are failing you.
Running Linux is an excellent way to protect yourself from computer viruses.

This whippersnapper started in '64 too.

Again those bad analogies... now blow-up dolls are free?

Wow, you admit to owning MSFT? How have the last 8 years been treating you? Not so good huh?
Seriously, MSFT? Were you expecting them to increase their market share? It doesn't pay to buy evil.
Not too late to grab some AAPL. I got some in 2005. Sure wish I have a bag full.
On 8/14/2008 8:24 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

Speaking of bad analogies, that's a bit like saying "buying a Hummer is an excellent way to protect you from crash injuries in an accident".
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
Dan Espen wrote:

You point is well taken. Should someone's goal - to the exclusion of most everything else - be to avoid viruses, then I concede Linux to be a swell solution. So is a stuffed bear paw.

Used ones that don't hold air can probably be had for that price. Does that make the analogy more correct?

Everything is relative. Last week I got a little quarterly dividend checkie-poo for $2,200.00.

At 90+% of the desktop, it would be hard. Microsoft has more cash in the bank (some 50-odd billion dollars) than the budget of California.

Why take sloppy-seconds? Much of the software running on the Mac is written by Microsoft.

Holy crap. The yield on MSFT is 1.6%. That's a pretty big bagful. You're not keeping up with the rate of inflation. That's pretty painful.
If a broker got you into that, you should sue him.
MSFT is trying to prop up their stock with buybacks and dividends. You make 1.6% not counting the steady downward trend of the price.
The AAPL I bought in 2005 is showing an unrealized capital gain of 360%. I'll hold as long as Steve Jobs is around.

None of that sounds like a good reason to buy MSFT. AAPL is also cash rich. That's not a good reason to buy AAPL either. IMO.
Look at what MSFT does with that cash. One money losing effort after another.

Yes, the Office suite is written by MSFT. Smart users will go for Open Office unless it's for business purposes.
Dump that MSFT. You can easily do a LOT better than 1.6%. For example:
PCU, BGF, EGLE, SFL, FDG, COSWF, PWE, HTE, IAF, FRO.
Do your own due diligence. The bonus is, none of those companies are evil.
Dan Espen wrote:

I'm hereby adding "MSFT", "AAPL", "Open Office", "Linux", and everybody participating in this thread to the killfile.
One of these days you'll all discover sex and wonder why you ever gave a damn about software companies.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

In other words you speak in half (assed) sentences. Thank you for stating that, but was clear already

Nonsense! You took a jocular suggestion (ever heard of emoticons?) as an attack to the value of your MS stock. What a pathetic little person!

And you are still struggling to grasp the basics of computing?

Not if your "software" performs badly or not better than other software that come with no invoice and no strangling user agreements.
Don't like me using Linux and other free software? Sue me.
Oh, wait, the company you own stock from already tried that, did they not?
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Kaspersky has done well in about every review, including the one in the Sept. 2008 Consumer Reports, where it ranked second, overall, scoring 78 points, compared to 80 points for two programs that tied for first place -- BitDefender (best antivirus) and McAfee (best for anti-spam). Oddly, CR didn't list two of the really popular free anti- virus programs, like Avast! and AVG, maybe because new versions came out after publication.
A few months ago, some malware caused my computer to slow to a crawl under XP Home. Norton and Avast! detected nothing, AVG 7 found problems but couldn't fix them at all, while free online scans by BitDefender and Kaspersky detected and partially fixed the problem but required the addition of SmithFraudFix and another specialty fix to permanently wipe the malware. I don't remember what the online versions of Trend and PC Pitstop did.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

If you asked this in a proper newsgroup you might have gotten an answer rather than gotten PLONKED.
*** PLONK ***
Hi there!
I think you guys should check out http://www.opswat.com/ there are 2 or 3 products that may be a match, I think that OESIS Framework at http://www.opswat.com/products/oesis-framework provides a single interface to many antivirus packages. Another option is I think Metascan at http://www.opswat.com/products/metascan which is more for ISV, I also found that many antivirus engines certified by OPSWAT at http://www.opswat.com/certified
I hope this helps. Regards,
Brian
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The bigger question is, WHY is someone responding to a post that is over THREE yrs old??????

The OP that the idiot was responding to is from '08.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/7c643f565514fa24?hl=en&dmode=source