Pay Phone question

WTF? Hop a flight, cross the pond, hook it up, 'call' when you have time.

Reply to
G Henslee

I have a pay phone in my home thats does not require coins to make a call.

Do you think that the phone would operate in a home with out coins in the UK, the same as in the states?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Well, yes and no. It might work but it would be illegal to connect to their telephone network because it wouldn't have their equivalent of UL, FCC and other telecom specs. Their telephone networks are quite different from ours. I used to do international complaince testing for telecom mfgrs and North American phones cannot pass their tests, just as their phones cannot pass our tests. It's not one better than the other, just different.

HTH

Pop

Reply to
Pop

So it would be illegal to plug it into your home phone modular jack in the UK?

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

G Your a Fuckin genius,or a Fuckin moron,my guess Moron :)

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

And you're an idiot f****ng top-posting dipshit. Run along.

Reply to
Dan C

TOP POSTING IS COOL!

Reply to
arizona

Yes. Totally illegal. Get a cell hpone.

Reply to
G Henslee

Nope. Totally legal. Good luck twit.

Reply to
G Henslee

FOAD, Poop.

Reply to
G Henslee

Technically, yes, if you got caught. There might be operational problems too since the UK uses different ringing frequencies and patterns than we do here. Ring detection is always the biggest problem manufacturer's have in their designs. The phone may or may not ring if it had an electronic ringer, espeically if it were not designed to allow for multi-country patterns, etc.. It's kind of a long subject, but technically, depending on where you were in the UK, it -might- work. Since it's a pay phone, if any of the coin sensors are still working inside it it's going to have a hefty REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) also. It's possible but not necessarily likely it might set off an alarm in the central office as the phone tries to switch to the coin ckts. They would definitely have to be disabled. The brits are more strict with their phone regulations than we are here in North America. They're stricter with lots of things. Like over $1,000 to get a driver's license, a tax called a license, to own a TV set, which you must be able to produce upon demand, etc.. The TV thing came about in the war when they were being turned into transmitters with their parts and the laws were just never changed - so now it's actually a tax but the law is still there about the license, so ... ya get one when you buy a TV. Lotsa interesting stuff 'cross the pond as they call it. \\

HTH,

Pop

PS Henslee's got a neat set of responses, eh? Guess he figued to cover both bases; no way he can be wrong with two conflicting responses.

Reply to
Pop

What's "totally" illegal mean? And a cell phone's not nearly as neat as having a pay phone hooked up. I have a credit card phone hooked up here - it even gives the AT&T Bong (my doing, it's not real). Pay phones are neat. Long's you don't collect money for them.

Reply to
Pop

Make up your mind, you twit. YOu just said it was illegal in your other post. Pay phones in particular have entireley different electric characteristics than regular phones - but being ignorant of such things you wouldn't know that even though you try to put your worthless cents in. When you have nothing to say, that's what you should say.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Not so different. I have pay phone in my house and it works fine on the US phone system. If the REN is different in UK, disconnect the bell. There are lots of "old phone" sites that will give you information about the network wiring but mine was fine the way I bought it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Care to explain to us in detail these so-called 'different electrical characteristics' ???

( IOW, I call bullshit.... )

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Poop said "entirely different" That's different. He's an expert. Don't mess with him.

Reply to
G Henslee

Ed,

Forget Europe for now, Pop had said "pay phones" have different electrical characteristics than "regular phones".

His claim, so its up to him to explain the difference between the two, if any........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Just answer their questions Poop. In your own self-elevated, jump on the soapbox, I'll show this guy, words: "When you have nothing to say, that's what you should say"

You really aint shit, just poop.

Reply to
G Henslee

Go away? Not a chance Poop. *You* go away. Or, killfile me you stump stupid high minded shit.

Now quit avoiding the real issues and go explain your stupidity in not one, but two threads now. Your crappy 'advice' is being questioned.

-- Pop aint shit, he's just Poop.

Reply to
G Henslee

And another kaner exposes its genitals to the world.

Reply to
Pop