patching holes

My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes? Thanks

Reply to
Tony Pacc

You're going to need like a thimble-full of something. I'd normally use pre-mixed drywall compound (comes in a bucket). Spread it on with something flat (a drywall "knife", a spatula, whatever), let it dry. Run over it lightly with a clean, slightly damp sponge once or twice (just a few swipes) to make it smooth. Let it dry again. Paint. But I normally buy it by the bucket -- maybe it is available in smaller amounts?

For just a few holes, you could probably just mix elmers glue with flour or something... who knows?

-kev

Reply to
kevin

You'll find a number of products available (in small quantities) at Home Depot or any decent hardware store.

Bear in mind that some are very flexible (and hence will not crack) but cannot be sanded which means you'll need to apply and finish before the compound sets.

Others are prone to shinkage while they cure which can leave a visible dimple after some number of hours or days.

Finally, do make sure that whatever compound you choose is paintable. Some (esp. those with silicone) will not take paint, ever!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Reply to
buffalobill

I use this stuff called Vinyl Spackling that I picked up at Ace Hardware. Just smear a bit of it in the holes with your finger and wipe any excess with the other finger. Easy as pie. It's paintable, sandable, dries quick, and it is also flexible.

-Felder

Reply to
felderbush001

Red Devil "one time" spackling.

Reply to
marson

Right, spackling compound or joint compound will work. But spackling is is available in small containers at any hardware or paint store. If it's a bigger hole, you may need to do two coats, as when the first dries, it may leave a small depression. That is less likely to happen with the spackling as opposed to joint compound too.

Reply to
trader4

If the holes are of any size, I often stuff them full of a wad of wet paper towel first, then use the spackling. As other posters have pointed out, you will likely need more than one coat, with sanding in between. Any hardware store carries it in small containers. Unless you are planning of doing a lot, I'd get the smallest container you can, as the stuff will dry out. A couple of good spakling knives are handy to have around. There are also some cheap plastic ones that are available, that work Ok. A putty knife is also handy for loosening up stuck windows after painting. You need more tools...

Reply to
professorpaul

I did something like that after I patched a small hole in a textured ceiling. I mixed flour with ceiling paint and dabbed it on with a stiff brush. Worked great!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Spackling compound is best, but plaster would also work. I think spackling contains some glue for better adhesion. With either, moisten the hole before starting. I prefer using two thin patches to one thick, as I think a thick patch is more likely to shrink or run. I trust you have some primer and paint left. Suggest to your wife that this would, next time, be better done before you do the painting.

If any of the holes is large, you should mount something behind the hole to help hold the patch.

I must be getting old, but I've never bought either of these pre-mixed on the theory that once you open the can, whatever you don't use is wasted, as it will dry out.

Reply to
Not