Patching hole in yard lamp pole

Page 1 of 2

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires through the hole.
Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?
The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black electrician's tape?
The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor my patch will be visible.

Got a real hardware store nearby? The kind with drawers full of hardware, including oddball parts that make you wonder who uses some of them? I've seen various sizes of rubber plugs in stores like that. Measure the hole and take a ride to the store.
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:53:28 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Actually, we do have a hardware store not too far away that I have only been in once because it looked more like a cross between a junk yard and an Army-Navy surplus store. Probably just the place.

Yes. That's called a hardware store, and in many ways, it probably makes Home Depot & Lowes look like toy stores.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

That sounds like the kind of store I can spend a day in!

Black tape will work fine. They make knockout plugs as well but in your case tape is quick and easy. Good to close it, it's a perfect habitat for wasps

I called the local hardware store. They have metal knockout plugs. What would I ask for (or search for) that would be like the black rubber grommets that snap into place but without the hole?
The hole is 3/4" dia and the pole is black.

Just walk in and tell them what you're trying to do. The beauty of a real hardware store is that you don't NEED to know the name of the thing you're looking for. They sell solutions.

That sounds like a hole made for a photocell. The smallest trade sized knockout plug fits a 7/8" hole, so you may have to find a black plastic plug or grommet.

That's what I ended up doing. A few wraps with black electrical tape and it's sealed. After I finished, I could still see a depression where the hole is, which made me wish that I had cut a small piece of plastic or thin metal or something to cover the hole first. If the tape wears off, I'll do that next time.
Thanks
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Thought I answered this thread already- the tape and the thin metal can be one and the same. Metal furnace tape or those metal patches they sell in the auto body repair aisle. Trim to correct size, paint with a spray can, and when dry, stick on the the surface you degreased before-hand.
-- aem sends...
I doubt anyone else will notice. Maybe it's a good luck sign?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Prof Wonmug wrote:

You might ask the hardware store about a rubber cork or even a wooden one if appearance isn't a problem That would give you a little leeway on sizing. Painting the wooden cork should make it last for some time.

if hol is low near bottom in ivy it was made that way, a opening for wire to pole, or for a pole outlet.
in either case just forget about it, build dirt up around bottom
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Aluminum tape, or even those square patches they sell in the auto body repair aisle, and a can of black spray paint, and you will be fine.
-- aem sends...
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:20:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.

In that case, you must make this into a much bigger deal than originally thought. Find a metal artist who works in bronze and have a tiny, decorative plaque made. It should cost at least a couple hundred bucks due to the tiny, etched images in it.
Did you mean wrought iron? Outdoor bronze is so, so tacky.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It was mentioned the hole is likely for a photo-cell.
Find a dummy plug to plug it up!
1) whittle a tree branch down and make a wooden plug.
2) use a wine bottle cork and plug the hole
3) duct tape

You da man.