Patching drywall from electrical work

Page 2 of 2
You guys are overcompilcating this, quite a bit. I have done this several times, and if you use enough spackling to glue in the sheetrock hole it will stay in place without any metal clips. The trick is not to even try to get it even (flush), you want slightly in, like 1/16th or something like that. Then after it dries you can fill in the 1/16 and sand until it's flush with the rest.
As so many others have said, use a backer piece of wood. I find a paint stirrer with Liquid Nails sufficient. I also get good results from taking the shaft of a screwdriver and making the edge of the hope concave, since cutting usually splays it out and makes rough edges.