Drywall Patching Advice Needed Please

I need to patch some holes in a remodel I am doing. I have noticed that when I try to screw some cleats onto the back side of the drywall opening to creating a surface to screw a patch onto, the screws penetrate the surface by 1/8" or so. Is is as though there is no paper there! This usually is not the case, but in one location, it clearly is. Will this be OK, or am I asking for problems regarding the patch pulling away. The patch is about

3"X6". Also, should I be using fiberglass mesh or paper tape on the joints of the patch? When is paper preferable to mesh and visa versa or is it just personal perferance? On smaller patches, say holes less than 2" X 2", do I need paper or mesh or can I just screw some sort of backing/cleat on and just fill it with hot mud?
Reply to
Michael Roback

Michael, Before you screw the drywall to the backing cleats, I would use construction adhesive to glue the backing cleats to the surrounding drywall. Once it drys, screw your patch in. Screw should only dimple the drywall paper.

Use mesh tape, it trowls out thinner. Make sure you do not overlap the pieces. I just repaired a patch using this method, and you cannot tell it was ever patched. It took many applications of mud and sanding to get it to look this good, but it was worth it.

Reply to
Roger Ramjet

Stop screwing around with cleats, glue and stuff and get into the 21st century.

I used to do it the hard way too, until I learned about drywall patch clips. Several manufacturers make them. Here's the first one I Googled up for you:

Best Regards from Red Sox Country!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia