paper covering sheetrock

I was sanding a piece of sheetrock, but the paper covering is rough and I c an't get a smooth finish. What do you recommend? I was thinking of painti ng the paper with shellac to get it harden so that I can sand it smooth. O r do I sand past the paper down to the plaster? Will it crumble or split i f I try that?
On 07/09/2013 08:21 PM, Deodiaus wrote:

Skim it with a setting type joint compound, then sand that.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:21:11 PM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:

ng the paper with shellac to get it harden so that I can sand it smooth. Or do I sand past the paper down to the plaster? Will it crumble or split if I try that?
Like Nate says, you have to skim coat it and then sand. You will never be able to sand the paper smooth so you have to completely coat it and then sa nd the coating.
If you apply a skim coat and use regular non-setting drywall compound (lets you work slower, compound can be made soft again by spraying it with water), you may be able to get by with no sanding.
On 07/09/2013 10:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

that would require an artistic touch that I don't have :)
But yes, I have seen talented drywall guys use a non-setting compound and smooth it with a damp sponge.
nate