Painting Trim

I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame. The wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.
The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of direct sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.
My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood? Will this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring? __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Alligatoring is usually a result of dried out oil-paint. Top coating it with latex doesn't fix the underlying condition. Since you have stripped it down to the bare wood, you could go with a shellac-based sealer coat or latex primer and then top coat with latex paint.
Bill Waller wrote:

I would not be picky about the brand for priming bare wood, other than to choose a good brand from a paint store - Ben Moore, S. Williams, etc. Latex primer, latex semi-gloss paint. Paint while the surface is not under direct sun. Latex paint has more flex and ability to expand than oil-based enamels.

...100% acrylic latex is best.
Things to ponder: Hmmm, no paint has any latex at all in it.
Red Green wrote:

Unless he wants to sand it in the future :)
--

dadiOH

Well....it rolls off nicely :-)
Fres~Coat Troubleshooter Fast Drying Alkyd Primer , made by California Paint...GREAT stuff....

What is Seal Coat. Oil exterior primer is still the best and recommended I am sure by top paint companies for their best products. I dont trust latex exterior primers, they dry to quickly to penetrate but actualy the size of molecule in oil primers is smaller, so it penetrates deeper. [I was reading a Benjamin moore tech answer on this] Yes you must prime, or in a year or so it will peel, primers seal the wood.
Spending the extra nickels on the paint will pay off big time. I made that mistake years ago. Within two years it looked like !
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com