Painting Textured Exterior - Help PLEASE

Hello group,

This is my first post to this forum and I would really appreciate any help you can offer. I am in the process of fixing up my house to sell it and it needs exterior paint badly. the problem is the coating on the house. It is textured and peeling in some locations. The previous owner said it was a "Sears Finish"? At any rate, removal of the old finish would be a HUGE undertaking and something I do not want to do. Can you guys offer any advice as to how I would remove the portions that are cracked and peling and apply a new texture that closely matches before painting? PLease see the pictures linked below.. THANK YOU for your help!

lavsman

How about a little more info?

Project location, exterior material (stucco?, concrete?) how long have you owned the property? how old is the finsish? was the finish failing when you bought it?

Paint will adhere to the exsiting finish but its performance will be driven by the fact that the cuurent finish is failing.

Contact Sears maybe there is a warranty still in effect & it was transferable. Maybe the previous owner should have invoked it.

If you cover this failing finish with something else & "filp" this property to someone else & the new finsih fails you'll be setting yourself up for a claim by the new owner.

The failing finish needs to be removed before painting.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. My house is located in Miami FL . The construction of the house is Concrete and the finish, when peeled off, seems like a thick paint with texture added to it. The finish was not failing when I purchased it 3 1/2 years ago.I am moving because property taxes are CRAZY here. My intent is not to hand a problem to the next owner, but with as hot as real estate is in my area, I could probably sell it as-is without taking much of a hit. None the less, I would still like to give it some curb appeal. Now, I have no idea how I could remove this finish, in it's entirety, as it is very solid on most of the house with the exception of some bad spots which are spreading possibly due to Hurricane after Hurricane after Hurricane after Hurricane after Hurricane after Hurricane :) The previous owner did mention something about a warranty on the finish, at the tim of purchase, and that there were many years left on it. The problem is, he had no documents proving it and he is now incommunicado.

Thanks again for taking your time to help me with this matter.

Reply to
lavsman

Pictures look like a "mortar wash" exterior finish poorly applied.

From the way you are wording the problem you need to call stucco contractors and find out what they suggest. Then decide. This is not something I would recommend for the novice to repair.

Reply to
SQLit

If you have his name & the property address Sears should be able to find it

Water blast would take it off. I would suggest the Sears route first

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207