Painting outdoor gas line

I recently had a gas line run to my fireplace for a gas log set. There is about 2 or 3 feet of pipe on the outside of the hose leading from the basement to the fireplace. The installer said to paint the pipe with a good exterior paint. My questions are: will rust inhibitor painted onto the pipe prior to priming and painting cause problems with the dope/sealant used on the pipe fittings? Will the paint itself cause problems with the dope/sealant? Should I just skip the rust inhibitor and wire brush the surface rust and prime and paint?
Thanks in advance,
Les
If black pipe prime and paint, Is it black pipe .

Yes, black pipe.
Brand new install and already rusted? What material is the pipe?
message

If the pipe is black pipe, it will rust sittin on the shelf.
To the OP. Sounds stupid, but check with your local code enforcement. here, the pipe if painted must be bright yellow, OR MUST have gas decals every 5 feet if its any color but yellow and exposed. if you have only a couple of feet, and wanted to paint it, I would suggest getting at least one decal on it, or a hang tag and have it on the line. Sounds stupid, but it can actually be an issue with inspectors, particularly if you go to sell the home.
message

Gas company recently installed new line into my house. The last bit of the job was to spray paint the pipe with Machine Gray Krylon. No primer. They left an empty behind which gave me a positive ID. --- SJF